The Lobby Monitor
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: September 15, 2023
The Lobby Monitor is an insider online publication focused on the intersection of politics, business, and public policy. We are hiring an editor to join our team and play a key role in shaping the direction of our publication. The Lobby Monitor covers the business of lobbying focusing on the players and advocacy campaigns. We also cover the rulings and guidance from the Ethics and the Lobbying Commissioners.
- Research and report daily on the latest developments in lobbying and federal politics, with a focus on breaking news and in-depth analysis
- Cover press conferences and parliamentary committee meetings
- Edit and fact-check articles written by other journalists
- Attend press events and other relevant political events to gather information and build relationships with sources
- Write clear, compelling, and accurate articles that engage and inform our audience
- Collaborate with editors and other journalists to generate ideas for new content and special projects
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in lobbying and federal politics and monitor relevant sources for breaking stories
- Write newsletters and use other digital tools to promote your work and engage with the audience
The Lobby Monitor offers a dynamic and fast-paced work environment, with opportunities for growth and advancement. We offer health benefits, and a supportive team culture.
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, political science, or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience as a reporter, with a strong portfolio of published work
- Excellent writing and research, with an eye for detail and accuracy
- Strong editing skills, including an ability to self-edit and provide constructive feedback to other reporters
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to distill complex information into clear, concise writing
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines
- Familiarity with the latest tools and technologies for journalism, including social media and multimedia storytelling
If you're passionate about politics, policy, and the role of journalism in shaping public discourse, we'd love to hear from you!
The Lobby Monitor is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), and at least three published writing samples to:
Tessie Sanci, executive editor
Hill Times Publishing Inc.
246 Queen Street
Tel: (613) 232-5952