Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: September 14, 2023
Deadline: November 14, 2023
*This person must reside in or around Vancouver, CAN.*
This position sits within our Content division which identifies and publishes accurate and relevant project data for our software solutions.
The full-time staff writer position is an integral part of the editorial team, fundamental to its content strategy and creation. Reporting to the editor of the Daily Commercial News and Journal of Commerce, ConstuctConnect’s daily online construction industry newspapers, the staff writer is responsible for investigating and developing story lines, writing daily news stories and briefs as well as following up on story leads and assignments as required. The position also requires a comfortable working knowledge of photography, podcasting and social media use. This position is required to report on industry events and breaking news stories throughout the Vancouver Lower Mainland region. The candidate is required to have access to reliable transportation so they can travel to various work sites potentially on short notice.
Responsibilities/ What You’ll Be Doing
- Responsible for researching, interviewing, developing and writing comprehensive editorial content on a daily basis for our online websites, while maintaining high editorial standards.
- Liaise with sources including architects, engineers, contractors, academics, government officials, association leaders and labour representatives
- Attend industry events as required (some evenings and weekends may be required)
- Take photos as needed
- Utilize multiple social media channels daily to bolster their personal profile within the as well as that of the publications
- Help generate strategies for social media efforts and features with the team
- Appear on podcast as required.
- This job description in no way implies that the duties listed here are the only ones that team members can be required to perform
- A journalism degree/diploma or equivalent experience is required
- Three to five years of professional journalism experience
- Experience in a professional daily newspaper environment an asset
- Highly developed reporting, interviewing and communication skills
- Experience writing about construction, labour, the economy, policy, politics and architecture a definite asset
- Full working knowledge of CP Style
- Strong proofreading skills
- Superior ability to meet deadlines in a newspaper environment
- Strong ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong ability to manage changing priorities and highly flexible
- Ability to use social media to source stories and push out content
- Familiarity with using a content management system an added benefit
- Familiarity with shooting and editing video an added benefit
- Experience with using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop an added benefit
- Familiarity with WordPress an added benefit
- Comfort with podcasting, whether appearing on them or creating them
Please apply directly to our careers page, stating you found this on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.