|Multimedia Journalist (LJI - 12 month assignment)
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posted: September 12, 2023
Postmedia is a Canadian news media company representing more than 130 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
Postmedia is proud to participate in Canada's 'Local Journalism Initiative' (LJI) program. This program supports local civic journalism covering the diverse needs of underserved communities across the country.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in Indigenous affairs. The candidate should be an enterprising self-starter, able to cultivate sources, find stories buried in documents and break news on tight deadlines, while writing in a way that is clear, concise and engaging.
What you’ll do:
- Reporting and writing stories related to Indigenous issues such as politics, health and wellness, arts and culture for print, web and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda.
- Filing video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
- You have a minimum of one year of newsroom experience.
- Flexibility to write effectively in breaking news, features and short form is essential.
- A talent for explanatory journalism
- Experience and strength in video or podcast presentation is an asset.
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
To apply, please forward your resume and cover note - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to: