Yorkton This Week / Canora Courier
|East Central Saskatchewan Reporter (LJI)
Location: Yorkton or Canora, Saskatchewan
Posted: September 8, 2023
Yorkton This Week and Canora Courier are looking for a talented reporter to join our team.
The successful candidate will focus on courts, crime, local governments, school boards and First Nations in the rural region surrounding Yorkton, which includes Canora, Preeceville, Kamsack, Langenburg, Foam Lake, Wadena, Kelvington, Wroxton, Churchbridge and Saltcoats.
For more than a century, our newspapers have been telling the stories of citizens from this slice of east central Saskatchewan. While text articles are the primary format, you will embrace digital platforms and have opportunities to produce photo, video and/or audio reporting.
Your journalism will uncover stories that need to be told, help set discussion and policy in east central Saskatchewan, and build relationships and a stronger sense of community amongst our audiences.
The stories you produce will be distributed in the weekly print editions of Yorkton This Week, Canora Courier, Preeceville Progress and Kamsack Times; across Saskatchewan communities through our provincial website, SASKTODAY.ca; as well through other news outlets as part of the federal government’s Local Journalism Initiative.
About the position
- Benefits: Medical and dental, as well as car allowance, three weeks’ vacation and statutory holidays
- Term: This is a 12-month position funded through the federal government’s Local Journalism Initiative
- Shifts: While this is a Monday-Friday position, some weekend and evening reporting may be required
- Physical workplace: You will either be located at the Canora Courier office in Canora, Sask. or the Yorkton This Week office in Yorkton, Sask.
- Training: Glacier Media Group highly values ongoing training and skills development, including professional development
- Pitching, reporting and editing local and regional articles for daily digital publication
- Ability to handle and turnaround breaking news, as well as longer-format features
- Ability to take photos that are eye-catching, clear and engaging to be shared in your articles and on social media
- Ability to work efficiently, in a deadline-driven environment, both independently and constructively in collaboration with a wider team when required
- Familiarity or willingness to learn audience engagement concepts, including social media storytelling and SEO
- Knowledge of Canadian Press style
- A driver’s license and reliable transportation are required
- A journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience
To apply, please email Canora Courier publisher Devan Tasa with the following information:
Your resume and a cover letter making the case for why you want to join our newsroom (and stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board);
Examples of your work, including clippings and multimedia (photos and video, if applicable); and
We thank you for your interest in this career opportunity. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Devan Tasa, publisher
PO Box 746
Tel: (306) 563-5131
Web address: http://www.sasktoday.ca/central/canora-courier