|Digital News Reporter
Location: George Town, Grand Cayman, International
Posted: August 28, 2023
Compass Media is the Cayman Islands’ leading provider of news - online, in print, radio and social media.
We’re looking for multi-platform, creative journalists who excel at driving the news agenda and breaking news to join our team at the Cayman Compass
, to play a prominent role in making thought-provoking and game-changing content across our output.
As a digital news reporter, you will be the backbone of our news operation.
Are you versatile, passionate, tenacious, insightful, resilient, and creative? Then we want to hear from you.
The role offers the opportunity to break news, delve into data and to cover Cayman’s position on the regional and international stage. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a reporter, with a proven track record (please submit two samples with your application) of insightful and compelling work.
- You’ll be required to pitch and find stories and suggest creative treatments online and in print, thinking about storytelling from an audio, digital or visual perspective – you’ll understand what our audience needs and wants to read.
- You must be quick, accurate, reliable, clear, ethical and dynamic and able to cover any subject, from the cost-of-living crisis to tourism, helping us celebrate the unique people and environment we’re blessed to enjoy in the Cayman Islands.
- You’ll enjoy interviewing everyone from all walks of life and know how to source and clear content produced on social media.
- You’ll think digital first and consume news from a variety of sources.
- You’ll write and edit well, distilling complex stories into clear and intelligible copy, including optimising headlines for SEO.
- You’ll be able to write to entertain us with features, or deliver a clear, eight-par lede, or distil complex data stories, or add colour into to a live blog.
- You’ll forge sources and deliver scoops, shaping the national conversation or spot a topline or the news buried in a press release.
- You will have a demonstrable knowledge of media law.
- You’ll use data and audience metrics to inform story pitches and will follow the development of trends in online journalism.
- Desired skills
- Postgraduate or professionally accredited journalism qualification or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with WordPress and knowledge of the Cayman Islands are desirable skills but not essential.
- Knowledge of legal, financial services or local political scene preferable.
- Ability to integrate reporting with radio, video products where appropriate.
- Must have a valid driver’s licence.
- Irregular hours, including weekend (rota) work will be required, as will working to tight deadlines.
- Native or fluent English-speakers only.
Please submit two writing samples and your CV with cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
, Grand Cayman
Web address: http://www.caymancompass.com