City of Hamilton
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posted: May 23, 2023
Deadline: May 31, 2023
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully. #BeTheReason
JOB ID #: 20373
Communications Officer (reposting)
City Manager's Office
Communications & Strategic Initiatives
Previous applicants to this competition need not re-apply, and will be considered as part of this re-post.
- NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 1
- UNION/NON-UNION: Non Union Mgmt Professional
- HOURS Of WORK: 35.00 per week
- GRADE: 5
- SALARY/HOUR: $46.569 - $54.464 per hour
- Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
- STATUS/LENGTH: Full-Time Temporary (Up to 24 months)
- Job Description ID #: 2232
- Vaccine Verification: As a condition of employment you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the City of Hamilton.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The position is part of the City of Hamilton’s Communications & Strategic Initiatives Division and will report to the Senior Communications Officer overseeing the City’s internal communications efforts. This position will provide business and communications support, strategic counsel and tactical support to the Human Resources Division. This position will also support various corporate communications work, as required.
- Develops and delivers strategic communication plans and supporting materials for divisional initiatives and associated programs.
- Addresses communication needs through a variety of methods and channels ensuring that communications are timely, informative, effective and efficient.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of communication policies and procedures to ensure that all communications and public relations activities in support of Human Resources are delivered consistently and assist in building positive relations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides advice and counsel to project teams on matters of communication, website and intranet presence, advertising, public affairs and media relations from a strategic point of view consistent with corporate communications policies and protocols.
- Prepares appropriate content for media relations tactics, speaking notes, website and intranet, and the City’s social media channels.
- Develops and recommends employer branding, employee value proposition and recruitment marketing strategies by bringing modern marketing methods and tactics to the recruiting process in order to attract top talent.
- Plans and manages job posting advertising and recruitment media campaigns with vendors including advertising purchase and design
- Creates candidate personas for a variety of positions to display on the City of Hamilton website and other social media platforms, such as LinkedIn, Indeed, Instagram, etc.
- Provides communications support for secondary and post-secondary educational partner and internal communication support for Human Resources programs and initiatives.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence to initiate and complete work assignments and to work on multiple tasks and set priorities.
- Attends meetings as required with subject matter experts to build knowledge base and inform ongoing communications efforts to ensure alignment and consistency across strategic communication efforts.
- Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned that are directly related to communication efforts within Human Resources and the Communications & Strategic Initiatives Division.
- Demonstrated experience in public relations or in a communications environment normally acquired through the completion of a Degree or Diploma in Public Relations, Journalism, a related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Demonstrated experience with audience analysis, communication theory and development of communication strategies for internal and external audiences.
- Superior written English and editing skills with a high standard of accuracy. Sound knowledge of communication theory and design. Ability to translate complex or technical ideas or information in simple terms. Experience in writing for diverse audiences.
- Proficiency required across a broad range of communications and public affairs disciplines including internal communications, employee and community relations, issues management, strategic communication planning and implementation, advertising, media relations, presentations and speech writing and social media (including LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Facebook).
- Superior skills in verbal and written communication, delivering presentations, interpersonal communication on project teams and when providing technical consultation.
- Experience with the following is an asset:
- Public sector and/or municipal government environment
- 24/7 operation, where some employees work remotely
- Capable of working independently as well as part of an interdisciplinary team and of building strategic relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of web-based applications an asset.
- Ability to balance a number of tasks simultaneously and to meet deadlines is essential.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
City of Hamilton
100 King St W. 10th Fl.
Tel: (905) 546-2424