The Brandon Sun
Location: Brandon, Manitoba
Posted: May 18, 2023
Salary: Based on experience
The Brandon Sun daily newspaper is accepting resumés for a full-time night editor to fill an upcoming junior management vacancy in our newsroom. We’re looking for a talented and accomplished journalist who wants to help lead an award-winning daily newsroom in southwestern Manitoba.
The night editor will assist the managing editor in directing story and photography coverage for the paper. They will work with reporters to ensure articles are on track to be completed on time, and provide feedback and advice on stories through the editing process.
- Editing stories for the daily newspaper and the website
- Running the daily story schedule when their shift begins. This responsibility includes assigning stories, photos and deciding the overall layout of the front page.
- Occasionally writing editorials for the opinion pages
- Planning overall page layout with our Winnipeg-based designers and conducting page adjustments as necessary.
- Writing occasional breaking news briefs for the website, and ensuring that edited stories for the next day’s paper are published to the website before the end of their shift.
- The night editor is in charge of planning, editing and layout of our weekly section, Westman This Week, and working with the managing editor to assign story content for special sections to staff reporters and freelancers.
- In the absence of the managing editor, the night editor is in charge of the newsroom.
- An eye for creative and artistic page layout.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Strong news judgment, patience and proven leadership capabilities
- A degree or diploma in journalism or related experience
- Willingness to adapt to new trends in online reporting
- Professional-level grasp of grammar and Canadian Press style
- Strong journalistic ethics
- Working knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop, or technological know-how to learn quickly
- Excellent time management to meet deadlines.
Qualified candidates should be active on social media, and generally be comfortable with the mechanics of working in a multimedia newsroom. All candidates must have a driver’s license and own a reliable vehicle. Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Brandon Sun also offers a comprehensive and generous suite of benefits.
About the company:
The Brandon Sun has been in operation since 1882, boasts an award-winning staff and is one of Canada’s leading community dailies. As a member of FP Newspapers, the Brandon Sun is a sister paper to the Winnipeg Free Press and the Steinbach Carillon.
We thank all applicants for applying; however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Please send your resumé, cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, clippings, portfolios, etc. to:
Matt Goerzen, managing editor
The Brandon Sun
Unit D7 - 800 Rosser Ave
Tel: (204) 571-7445
Web address: http://www.brandonsun.com