London Free Press (Postmedia)
Location: London, Ontario
Posted: May 13, 2023
Postmedia is a Canadian news media company representing more than 130 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
The London Free Press is looking for an experienced, energetic and digitally savvy reporter to contribute to the newspaper’s editorial team, in print and online. In this role, you will provide a well-rounded approach to fast-paced journalism in a variety of functions: writing, reporting, taking pictures, shooting video, and publishing work through social media. The ideal candidate will be a self-starting newshound with a positive attitude who is open to working nights and weekends, who thrives on deadlines, who follows current trends, and who shows an ability to adapt to an ever-changing digital environment. Knowing the ins and outs of the London region would be an asset.
What you’ll do:
- Writing and reporting
- Cover all aspects of the London region as a general-assignment reporter and write engaging, well-researched news and feature stories
- Follow media coverage at The Free Press and elsewhere and come up with story ideas, as well as complete assigned stories
- Multimedia Producing
- Help the newsroom expand its production across multiple formats and platforms: mobile, audio, video, etc.
- Take pictures and shoot videos that illustrate the story in engaging ways
- Research and promote work through a variety of social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more
- Proven success in producing well-written, well-researched copy
- Understanding of multimedia production process and requirements, including different tiers of production tools, in a computer-based environment
- Deep understanding of current publishing industry trends, including but not limited to new platforms
- The ability to work comfortably in an uncertain environment, and to make clear and firm decisions in the face of ambiguity
- Endless energy and the sincere desire to excel
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Please forward your resume and cover note stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board to: ALi@postmedia.com