KidScreen (Brunico Communications)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: May 1, 2023
Kidscreen is the world’s leading B2B brand for everything kids love. We are looking for a full-time editor to head up content for our market-leading publications that serve the business needs and interests of kids entertainment executives worldwide. Read more about our brand here.
Working with an editorial team, Kidscreen’s editor is responsible for developing, managing and executing content for Kidscreen magazine and the Kidscreen Daily newsletter in alignment with current brand strategy. The goal is to enrich each publication with the most current, relevant and comprehensive content available, presented in a fun and conversational tone that is accessible for global readers. Reporting to the publisher, Kidscreen’s editor is also charged with ensuring that the brand maintains and builds upon its status as a thought leader and go-to source for information in the industry.
- Developing and implementing an editorial plan that aligns with the strategic objectives of the brand
- Motivating, developing and managing a staff of writers, junior editors and freelancers/contributors
- Planning/assigning/writing copy/editing the magazine (five issues a year)
- Editing the Kidscreen Daily newsletter, and overseeing/evolving the brand’s digital content and user experience
- Effectively collaborating with creative and digital service departments to ensure the highest-quality work is done on all Kidscreen content and platforms
- Developing and maintaining high-level industry contacts/relationships to ensure Kidscreen’s content direction remains ahead of the curve (some international travel required)
- Managing an editorial team and guiding skill development towards planned growth opportunities
This is a full-time position at a world-leading business publication and events company. Brunico Communications operates permanently on a hybrid in-office and work-from-home schedule, with two days a week in downtown Toronto office (required) and three days remote. Brunico offers a competitive benefits package and ensures employees are equipped for success in a hybrid office.
Our ideal candidate also loves to travel and meet people in person! Kidscreen’s year revolves around a busy calendar of industry events and markets that are held all over the world. It’s essential that our editorial team has a presence at all of the key ones, so Kidscreen’s editor must have a valid passport, be willing and able to travel freely to Europe and the U.S., and enjoy the prospect of doing so.
- University degree in journalism or communications
- Five-plus years in senior editorial roles, with experience managing multiple, overlapping projects and deadlines
- Experience managing in-house and freelance editorial resources effectively
- Outstanding editorial standards and judgment
- A keen eye for detail and a borderline obsession for copy consistency and excellence
- A fun and conversational writing style, especially as applied to denser, complicated subject matter
- Strong aptitude for display writing and art direction
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with PC platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, InCopy, PhotoShop
- Experience developing conference content for live events would be an asset
- Inside knowledge of the international film and television industry would be an asset
- cover letter including your salary expectations
- three published writing samples with your byline
- three feature story ideas that would be relevant for Kidscreen readers
Thank you for your interest!
Brunico Communications Ltd. is committed to building a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. We are proud to be in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment (if applicable) process as required under the company’s accessibility policies and procedures. Applicants must make their accommodation needs known upon requests for interviews.