Edmonton Journal/Sun (Postmedia)
Location: Edmonton (hybrid), Alberta
Posted: November 15, 2022
Postmedia is a Canadian news media company representing more than 130 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
Working in the joint Edmonton Journal/Edmonton Sun newsroom, the successful candidate will be expected to break news and lead in investigative journalism. Applicants are expected to have excellent news judgment, an understanding of business issues and demonstrable strengths in accurate, clean reporting, and a proven ability to initiate stories and enterprise features. Candidates must be familiar with emerging digital trends and opportunities, be able to shoot video with a mobile device, and know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences. They must be comfortable with filing stories for multiple platforms on tight deadlines, and be keen to learn and experiment to find new ways to tell stories and engage readers.
What you’ll do:
- Reporting and writing stories for print, web, and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda.
- Filing video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
- Several years of experience at a news organization in a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role.
- Fluency in digital platforms, multimedia journalism and social media.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, meet multiple deadlines, and make efficient decisions.
- Familiarity with data journalism and investigative reporting.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a newsroom team.
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Please send your resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Editor in Chief
Edmonton Journal/Edmonton Sun (Postmedia)