DOB - Daily Oil Bulletin
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posted: October 7, 2022
The DOB is a premium digital daily news service with a focus on the energy industry in Canada and internationally. Its B2B audience is very substantial (and growing) and includes energy industry executives, managers and employees, advisory service professionals and government regulators. Editorial output includes daily email newsletters, special reports, infographics and website news/feature articles. We seek an experienced journalist to join our talented team. We value a respectful and diverse workplace and believe in celebrating successes. We provide great training and channels for growth.
As an Energy Reporter, you’ll be covering the development of energy systems of the future, in Canada and around the globe. You’ll provide original, exclusive reporting on oil and natural gas markets, cleantech advances, carbon capture technologies as well as “new” energies (e.g., hydrogen, geothermal). Your work will be published primarily within the DOB, our premium digital daily news service. In this role, you also have the opportunity to collaborate on special projects with our energy specialists in both Calgary, Canada, and London, U.K. This role reports to the editor.
Our current energy reporting team is primarily based in Calgary, Canada and London, U.K.
How will you spend your day?
- Researching and writing daily news articles and longer features.
- Covering breaking news.
- Contributing to content meetings that shape future coverage.
- Interviewing subject matter experts and industry executives.
- Collaborating on special projects such as reports and infographics.
- Attending (over the phone/Teams/Zoom or in person) industry events and company investor calls.
- Maintaining and nurturing your contact network.
- Posting to social media, notably LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Helping to further develop our data and information visualization/presentation efforts.
The DOB is published by geoLOGIC systems ltd., a trusted data, software and information solutions company committed to the energy industry. Every day we provide our global customers with market-leading data, software, platforms, analytics, education, news and insights that enable them to make vital decisions that drive growth and efficiency. Based in Calgary (Canada) with offices in London (U.K.) and Houston (U.S.), we deliver critical data driven intelligence ranging from surface and subsurface well/asset level information & insights to corporate performance benchmarking data, commodity pricing and A&D transaction data. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing and dynamic company in a fast-moving sector of the energy industry.We are an equal opportunity employer, and value diversity and inclusion.
Ready to apply? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- An experienced journalist with the ability to assemble and summarize complex information.
- A passion for writing and in exploring new ways to convey news and analytical information.
- Familiarity with social media and a network to help research and share content.
- High standards of professionalism, honesty and integrity.
- The ability to generate story ideas and manage multiple projects.
- Experience in delivering high quality, accurate work to deadline.
- A natural curiosity to understand the evolving energy market.
- A proven team player who can work in a collaborative environment.
- The ability to maintain multiple tasks, meet deadlines, be organized, and work at a fast pace.
- Attention to detail.
- A positive, self-motivated attitude.
- A desire to help people understand complex things.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in journalism, communications or a subject relevant to the role requirements.
- Minimum 1-3 years of solid reporting experience for a daily or weekly news organization.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of the energy industry (either in Canada or globally) would be an advantage. (If you haven’t reported on the energy industry, an eagerness to learn about this exciting sector is key. We take a measured approach to training and support reporters as they build their knowledge base.)
- Excellent (English) written and verbal communication skills.
This posting is open to applicants located in Canada, with hybrid and remote work options. Our Head Office is located in Calgary, Canada.
Applications will only be accepted through the geoLOGIC Careers Centre. Please state in your application that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.