BurlingtonMatters.com (Village Media)
|Reporter - General Assignment
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posted: September 14, 2022
BurlingtonMatters.com, a part of the dynamic Village Media network, is searching for a talented and motivated Reporter to fill a full-time position in Burlington, Ontario for our rapidly growing local news and information website.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, curious and a self-starter who knows that breaking news goes beyond fires and collisions. We want someone with excellent news judgment who can find the stories most important to our community on a daily basis, while also digging deep to uncover the news that no one else is reporting.
The successful candidate for this position:
- Has demonstrated experience writing breaking news and features stories on a wide range of community issues, including crime and justice, education, business, sports and health;
- Reports quickly, clearly and accurately and is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Has a track record of success in cultivating sources, including with first responders, and fostering community contacts and relationships;
- Isn’t afraid to ask tough questions when required.
- Are compelled to find stories that matter and to engage with our communities;
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and transparency, and have impeccable ethics;
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Degree or diploma in journalism, or related experience;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills, with a thorough knowledge of CP Style;
- Strong photography and video skills;
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends;
- A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and a good driving record are required
- The successful candidate must live in or near Burlington, Ontario
To apply, please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Gaulin Media) and resume, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications for all current openings must be submitted through the Village Media Portal.
About Village Media
Village Media - Strengthening the communities we serve is where local news lives—and thrives. An ever-expanding network of community journalism websites, we cover the stories that matter most: the ones right in our backyards. A champion of hyperlocal news and information, Village Media publishes its articles on an innovative and scalable content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, our leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.