The Northern Miner
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: August 25, 2022
Staff Writer – The Northern Miner
Full-Time, Toronto, ON
Who we are:
A career with The Northern Miner Group is an opportunity to be on a collaborative team where creative leadership, passion for progress, and responsibility are paramount. Our primary focus is on building strong relationships with our clients through our mining and metals industry leading brands and solutions. We provide our customers with access to the industry’s leading and most trusted media outlets along with the innovative tools they need to grow market share and enhance market performance.
The Northern Miner has been providing exclusive mining exploration and production news and intelligence to mining professionals and investors for over a hundred years. It includes both a daily news website as well as a bi-weekly newspaper and has come to be known in the industry as one of the most trusted sources of mining and mineral exploration news.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief of The Northern Miner you will join and work directly with a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors who are dedicated to building high quality comprehensive content for our readers. In this role you will conduct thorough research on industry- related topics, generate ideas for new content and proofread articles before publication. This role requires the ability to work independently on a broad scope of projects in a fast-paced environment.
You would be perfect for this role if:
- You have a keen interest in mining and mineral exploration, including economic trends, finance and capital markets, geopolitics, the environment, technology and industry. You enjoy combining your attention to detail and accuracy with a creative approach to editing and writing that is uniquely you.
- You’re a confident writer who enjoys meeting new people and staying current on the latest trends, challenges and changes in the industry.
In this role, you will:
- Focus on producing independent, industry leading mining-related content and personality profiles for our website and newspaper, both through original story ideas and stories assigned to you
- Contribute to multimedia editorial content as necessary (podcast and video)
- Occasional contribution of sponsored content story
- Passionately pursue the stories and information that our readers need and want to know about to be successful by interfacing with industry leaders at events or in-person interviews
- Work collaboratively and closely with the other members of the team to ensure consistent and cohesive content, style, and messaging
- Assist with The Northern Miner events, including conferences, trade shows and round tables
- Travel internationally to various mining projects and conferences as required
- A university degree with a focus on geology, mining engineering, chemistry, business, economics or media
- Work experience in the mining or financial journalism industry
- A good understanding of business and technology, including an interest in capital markets and the economy is ideal
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, sound editorial judgement
- A desire to learn new things and to translate complex topics into language that’s accessible and understood by our readers
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure both individually and as part of a team
- A willingness to travel globally
What We Offer:
- A culture based on caring, integrity, agility, collaboration, innovation and striving for excellence
- We encourage a healthy work-life balance, fair treatment of staff, and clear and open communication at all levels
- We are passionate about building an inclusive and diverse workplace
- We invest in education and support and encourage professional development
- We offer a competitive salary, extended health benefits, and flexible schedules
Apply today with your cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board, resume, and at least two samples of technical or news writing in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Closing: September 19, 2022
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Working remotely – temporarily due to COVID-19