Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: August 16, 2022
Deadline: October 17, 2022
1 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M5E 2A3, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
The Toronto Star has a vacancy in the Team Editor classification for the Toronto team, focused on housing (Temporary Full Time). We are seeking a team editor who is enthusiastic about guiding coverage of the rapidly changing real estate market with a goal of growing the Star’s digital audience.
Team Editor Role & Responsibilities:
- Help lead our housing and real estate market coverage, coordinating plans across departments and fostering a spirit of teamwork and creative storytelling
- Produce our weekly housing newsletter, achieve audience growth and increased reader engagement
- Help generate and develop plans to better reach new audiences and engage existing audiences both at thestar.com and on external platforms.
- Evaluate and edit copy for quality and validity of information; ensuring that all Star content under your supervision is accurate; has no legal issues; has no factual, spelling or grammatical errors; meets acceptable writing and journalistic standards; is produced in an engaging manner.
- At least five years of newsroom experience with a record of ambitious journalism. Experience with business journalism, particularly real estate, is an advantage.
- Comfort with data-driven analysis and an eye for enterprise opportunities. Equally comfortable with assigning human-focused stories about the sociological impact of Toronto’s housing market.
- Advanced journalism skills with a broad knowledge of local, national and international issues.
- Superb news judgment; storytelling, editing and multimedia skills.
- Understanding of digital publishing best practices and a track record of producing subscriber-driven content
- A proven track record of being innovative and working collaboratively.
- Passion, energy and creativity. You are a self-starter and self-motivated with the ability to identify and solve complex problems, quickly and independently.
- Excellent communication and people skills, especially working to align functional teams and multiple stakeholders.
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven.
- This position will be located at 1 Yonge Street in Toronto. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Please apply here with a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume.