Location: Humboldt, Saskatchewan
Posted: August 3, 2022
The Humboldt Journal and East Central Recorder are looking for a reporter to join our team.
We’re a dynamic, community-oriented news operation that has recently made the switch to being digital-only.
You will be covering Humboldt, Tisdale, Melfort, Nipawin, Hudson Bay and other communities in north east Saskatchewan, with a particular focus on local municipality governments, school boards and First Nations.
You will be based in Humboldt, a community of 6,000. Amenities include a swimming pool, arena, art gallery and a curling rink. A multi-billion dollar potash mine being built nearby will see major growth and change come to the city.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL
- Write and edit multiple stories each day of varying length.
- Take photos and shoot videos that are eye-catching, clear and engaging, to be shared on our social media channels and in your stories.
- Generate interesting stories and feature ideas.
- A journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience
- Familiarity or willingness to learn audience engagement concepts, including social media storytelling and SEO.
- Proficiency in digital photography.
- Knowledge of CP style.
- Ability to work efficiently, in a deadline-driven environment, both independently and constructively in collaboration with a wider team when required.
- Weekend and some evening reporting may be required.
This is a term position under the federal government's Local Journalism Initiative.
If this position appeals to you, please send your resume, clippings, photo samples, three references and a cover letter making the case for why we should hire you and stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board to our Publisher, Devan Tasa, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web address: http://sasktoday.ca/north/humboldt-journal