The Barrie Advance
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posted: July 21, 2022
Deadline: September 21, 2022
Metroland Media, an employer that celebrates diversity, is looking for a Reporter to join its fast-paced newsroom.
The Barrie Advance is the source of news and information in the community, delivering more than 45,000 newspapers weekly and reaching more than 200,000 readers every month on Simcoe.com.
Our roots run deep. Since 1987, we have been keeping residents of Barrie informed on issues that impact their lives, including local government, education, health care, crime and community events.
We continue to evolve, grow and change with our readers and our communities. We invest in trained journalists and offer ongoing educational opportunities to remain current with media trends and readers’ needs. We fuse their expertise with first-party data and insight from our local community advisory council to inform our coverage.
The Barrie Advance is part of Metroland Media, which is owned by Torstar. Metroland’s team of award-winning journalists produce 70 weekly and six daily newspapers as well as 25-plus websites.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
The Barrie Advance is looking for an energetic and keen reporter who is skilled in storytelling for both digital and print platforms.
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and our readers.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy and take photos.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members and the community.
- Well-versed in Canadian libel law and Canadian Press style.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work from home office.
- Must be able to travel within the community for assignments
- Interested candidates are asked to submit a 50-word story pitch along with their cover letter and resume.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.