Markham Economist & Sun
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Posted: July 21, 2022
Metroland Media, an employer that celebrates diversity, is looking for a News Editor join its fast-paced newsroom.
York Region Media Group is the source of news and information in the community, delivering tens of thousands of newspapers weekly and reaching more than one million readers every month on yorkregion.com.
We have been keeping residents of York Region informed on issues that impact their lives, including local government, education, health care, crime and community events.
We continue to evolve, grow and change with our readers and our communities. We invest in trained journalists and offer ongoing educational opportunities to remain current with media trends and readers’ needs. We fuse their expertise with first-party data and insight from our local community advisory council to inform our coverage.
York Region Media Group is part of Metroland Media, which is owned by Torstar. (hyperlink to corporate sites for these) Metroland’s team of award-winning journalists produce 70 weekly and six daily newspapers as well as 25-plus websites.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
Metroland is seeking an energetic and experienced News Editor to join its fast-paced newsroom in York Region.
With your thumb on the pulse of the community, you have the ability to quickly identify and assign stories to a team of talented journalists, providing them with support and guidance along the way. You are also responsible for proofreading as well as slotting content for our print products.
- Collaborate with the managing editor on mapping of all print products – ensuring variety of quality of content, and adherence to production deadlines.
- Understand the value of information, great and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and the newspaper's readers.
- Proof newspaper pages.
- Copyedit content with an eye for clear, concise and engaging writing, as well as adherence to Canadian Press and Metroland style.
- Monitor newsroom email accounts, responding to reader inquiries as appropriate and forwarding story ideas to reporters.
- Coach reporters on creating compelling content, including story structure, storytelling style and headline writing.
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Degree or diploma in journalism or related field and experience in a similar role.
- A motivated self-starter with proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Well-versed in Canadian libel law and Canadian Press style.
- Experience in copyediting and coaching reporters.
- Familiarity with newspaper production process.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend.
- Must be able to work from your home office.
- Must be able to travel within the community for work as necessary.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.