Aurora Banner/Caledon Enterprise (Metroland Media)
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Posted: June 30, 2022
Metroland Media, an employer that celebrates diversity, is looking for a passionate journalist to report on everyday life, municipal politics and businesses in the multicultural community of Aurora and Bolton.
The Aurora Banner and the Caledon Enterprise are the source of news and information in the communities that they serve; each delivering tens of thousands of newspapers weekly and reaching readers every month on yorkregion.com and caledonenterprise.com.
Our roots run deep for both papers. The Aurora Banner was started in 1864 and the Caledon Enterprise was started in 1888. Each paper informs readers on issues that impact their lives, including local government, education, health care, crime and community events.
We continue to evolve, grow and change with our readers and our communities. We invest in trained journalists and offer ongoing educational opportunities to remain current with media trends and readers’ needs. We fuse their expertise with first-party data and insight from our local community advisory council to inform our coverage.
Both newspapers are part of Metroland Media, which is owned by Torstar. Metroland’s team of award-winning journalists produce 70 weekly and six daily newspapers as well as 25-plus websites.
Metroland is looking for someone who would be able to split 28 hours a week between the Caledon Enterprise and the Aurora Banner. We are looking for an energetic and keen reporter who is skilled in storytelling for both digital and print platforms. You will:
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and our readers.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy and take photos.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members and the community.
- Well-versed in Canadian libel law and Canadian Press style.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work remotely.
- Must be able to travel within the community for assignments.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a 50-word story pitch along with their cover letter stating you found this on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume. Apply here.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.