iPolitics (Torstar Corporation)
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: June 14, 2022
iPolitics is looking for a full-time political reporter with excellent journalistic judgment and strong storytelling skills to join our Ottawa bureau as deputy editor.
We are looking for a strong reporter with Parliament Hill experience and a track record of breaking federal political and policy news.
The successful candidate has excellent interpersonal skills and thrives on working with others. They will take on a leadership role in iPolitics’ Ottawa newsroom.
Strong writing skills, a solid grasp of Canadian Press style and an ability to meet tight deadlines are a must. Bilingualism is a key asset.
- File daily news stories and features for a web-based platform;
- Cover events including parliamentary debates and committee hearings, elections, and leadership races;
- Develop expertise on a federal policy beat;
- Provide leadership at iPolitics’ Ottawa newsroom;
- Edit other reporters’ work as required;
- Develop the kinds of sources within political circles that allow you to break original stories;
- Conduct multi-media appearances.
- Post-secondary education in journalism, political science, economics or a related field;
- At least five years’ experience in journalism, with experience covering federal politics, compensation can be adjusted commensurate to experience;
- Ability to report on breaking news quickly and accurately;
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Proven ability to generate compelling, original story ideas for a digital platform;
- Able to build up a network of sources;
- Experience working independently as well as part of a team.
Diversity & Inclusion
iPolitics is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. iPolitics is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
iPolitics is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
iPolitics remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2022, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Please apply here with a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume.