Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: May 27, 2022
Salary: not stated
Metroland Media is a progressive media organization with a long and distinguished history. Its businesses include more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario. Metroland’s parent company, Torstar Corporation, also publishes a number of regional daily newspapers.
In addition, Metroland Media offers flyer distribution services, omnichannel marketing solutions and parcel delivery. Our company is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, collaborative, agile, results driven and focused.
The Metroland Pagination Centre is looking for a fully remote part-time layout person to work with the Torstar Communities complete footprint of community newspapers.
- Layout and adjust newspaper pages for a range of news, sports, business, entertainment and specialty pages
- The successful candidate needs to be creative, curious and quick to adapt in a constantly evolving media environment
- Experience in Newsgate and Layout Champ would be an asset
- Preferred candidates should have Graphic Arts and Design training or equivalent work experience in the publishing industry and/or journalism
- Excellent proofing skills with a strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, ability to adhere to a common standard and able to manage time appropriately
- Team-oriented, with the ability to excel in a fast-paced and deadline based environment
- The ability to create infographics, charts and other alternate story telling forms would be considered an asset
- Applicants must have solid computer skills and experience working with various desktop publishing software programs
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Familiarity with CP style
- The successful candidate must be able to work a variety of shifts and days of the week as assigned, including some evenings and weekends
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.