The Hamilton Spectator
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posted: May 20, 2022
Salary: not stated
The Hamilton Spectator is recruiting for an experienced temporary full-time Web Editor (12 month contract) to join a fast-paced, digital-first multi-media newsroom publishing content for thespec.com. The successful candidate must have a keen interest and enthusiasm for digital journalism.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Engages reporters in daily web publishing efforts with a view to acquiring new subscribers and appealing to existing subscribers;
- Manages social media activity, website management and reader engagement;
- Monitors website traffic analytics for better content positioning and syndication, and additional content creation opportunities;
- Enhance and optimize web files; ensures on-site best publishing practices of headline writing, related stories, story-to-story embedded links and topic pages;
- Curates and creates content and oversees release schedule for subscriber-based newsletters.
- Degree or diploma in journalism or related field and experience in similar role.
- Self-motivated with the ability to exercise solid news judgement and excellence organizational skills.
- Have experience with social media and working in a newsroom environment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Well versed in Canadian libel law and CP style.
- Strong project management skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Passion for content, new media and technology.
- Experience with SEO headline writing.
- Results driven.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.