Medicine Hat News
|Reporter (Local Journalism Initiative)
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posted: May 17, 2022
Deadline: July 17, 2022
The Medicine Hat News has an immediate opening for a Local Journalism Initiative Reporter with a focus on education and agriculture.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a motivated worker with a passion for journalism, strong news sense, excellent research skills, a creative approach to coverage, a desire to learn and a demonstrated ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations.
This is a full-time contract position concluding in March 2023 with no guarantee of further employment.
The Medicine Hat News is a member of Alberta Newspaper Group LP and has operated as a daily newspaper since 1885, providing award winning daily coverage from court and councils to sports and human interest. Medicine Hat is home to a rich sports community, featuring four local high schools, Medicine Hat College, the Western Hockey League’s Medicine Hat Tigers and much more.
- Reporting on local stories through print and photography, with a focus on education and agriculture.
- Pitching story ideas with an emphasis on local content
- Schedule may include evenings and weekends
- Full-time contract position
- Full benefits
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation
- Post-secondary education in journalism or related field
- Experience at a daily or weekly news organization in a reporting role
- Working knowledge of Canadian Press style
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Strong sense of ethical integrity
- Fluency in social media platforms
- Willingness to work overtime when required
- Photography and layout experience would be considered an asset
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your resume, cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and three references to:
Ryan McCracken, city editor
Medicine Hat News
9 Vista Road SE
Web address: http://www.medicinehatnews.com