|Reporter - Court/General Assignment
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posted: May 9, 2022
Village Media, which operates a rapidly growing network of local news and information websites, is searching for a talented and experienced multimedia Reporter to fill a full-time position covering primarily court and crime, as well as general assignments in Sudbury, Ontario.
Who You Are:
You are accountable and know your community. You feel a sense of responsibility to your community. You hold people to account - you are telling the stories of where you live. You want to tell the stories people are talking about or the stories they should be talking about.
- Are compelled to find stories that matter;
- Engage with our communities;
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and transparency, and have impeccable ethics;
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Degree or diploma in journalism, or related experience;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills, with a thorough knowledge of CP Style;
- Strong photography and video skills;
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends;
- A valid driver’s licence and reliable vehicle;
- Must be willing to relocate to the Sudbury, Ontario area;
- Familiarity with the Sudbury, Ontario area will be considered a strong asset.
The successful candidate for this position:
- Has demonstrated experience writing breaking news and feature stories on a wide range of community issues, including crime and justice, education, business, sports and health;
- Reports quickly, clearly and accurately and is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Has a track record of success in cultivating sources, including with first responders, and fostering community contacts and relationships;
- Isn’t afraid to ask tough questions.
- Has demonstrable experience covering crime and the courts, and a passion to be the public’s eyes and ears on the local justice system.
If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, please apply! We want a cover letter and resume, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin’s Journalism Board, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications must be submitted through the Village Media Portal.
About Village Media
Village Media is where local news lives—and thrives. An ever-expanding network of community journalism websites, we cover the stories that matter most: the ones right in our backyards. A champion of hyperlocal news and information, Village Media publishes its articles on an innovative and scalable content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, our leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact mai.