Halifax City News (Village Media)
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posted: May 3, 2022
Halifax.citynews.ca, part of the dynamic Village Media network, is looking for a weekend editor/reporter in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Can you do it all?
You will be responsible for working on stories for both our online-only news site CityNews Halifax and our partner radio station, CityNews 95.7. Writing, interviewing, editing, reporting, photography and producing? We have a part-time entry-level position for a reliable self-starter who can work independently, but also as part of a large, dynamic newsroom.
Our team of talented journalists has a passion for up-to-the-minute news and loves to tell stories about the people, places and events that highlight our community and make it a great place to live.
Our employees are:
- Driven to find stories that matter to their community
- Enjoy unspinning news releases and writing headlines that get right to the heart of a story
- Committed to fairness, accuracy and journalism ethics
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills and look to social media as a crucial way of engaging with our audience
- Cover assigned stories in a busy news/talk operation
- Keep up to date with major developing stories and be able to tell these stories on multi-platforms
- Develop story ideas
- Conduct news interviews, write and edit stories/scripts and publish/broadcast the finished product
- At some point, you might be called upon to write, edit and present newscasts
- Assist in other areas of our operation as required
- Degree in journalism, broadcasting or related field
- Minimum of 1-year experience in a newsroom
- Superior language, writing and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of journalism ethics and law
- Photography and associated editing software experience
- Working knowledge of BURLI
- Able to work a variety of schedules, including evenings, nights and weekends
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong time management and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
- Must be able to take direction and work independently
- Must have a valid driver’s licence with no restrictions and a clean driver’s abstract
If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, please apply! We want a cover letter and resume, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin’s Journalism Board, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications must be submitted through the Village Media Portal.
About Village Media
Village Media is where local news lives—and thrives. An ever-expanding network of community journalism websites, we cover the stories that matter most: the ones right in our backyards. A champion of hyperlocal news and information, Village Media publishes its articles on an innovative and scalable content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, our leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.