Pink Triangle Press
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: May 2, 2022
Deadline: May 23, 2022
Salary: $105k to $115k
Founded in 1971 to advance the struggle for sexual liberation, we are Pink Triangle Press (PTP), Canada’s leading LGBTQ2S+ media organization. We were founded on the belief that storytelling and sharing experiences is a powerful tool for liberation. We believe that media created by, for and about LGBTQ2S+ communities is critical to their ability to thrive. We seek to amplify the work of activists, creators, thinkers, change makers and caregivers.
As a mission-guided community organization without shareholders, we earn our revenues in the marketplace. Our three main areas of focus are on award-winning journalism, online dating services, and engaging audio and visual productions. We publish Xtramagazine.com, several newsletters, and we also operate the gay and bisexual adult dating website Squirt.org, the gay dating app Guy Spy and have produced a number of television projects, including the travel show Bump! and The Gayest Show Ever.
Pink Triangle Press (PTP) celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2021. We are proud to be one of the longest-publishing LGBTQ2S+ media groups in the world. We aim to inspire our communities to pursue a future where everyone is free to celebrate who they are.
Pink Triangle Press (PTP) is looking for an Editorial Director to be responsible for helping create and implement a clear, strategic vision for world class editorial content and for ensuring the production and publication of powerful text, audio and visual stories that engage our communities and advance our mission in a variety of audience environments.
RESPONSIBILITIES & OBJECTIVES
Leadership & Strategy
- Successfully build and maintain an environment that enables the creation of quality journalism and other content to achieve our mission.
- Lead a team of journalism and content managers to coordinate and produce quality and engaging content for publication, social and/ or broadcast release; Identify, research and present mission-fulfilling information, storylines, trends, topics and events that are relevant and thought-provoking, providing a critical perspective that engages our audience in thoughtful discourse.
- Develop and create an impact/specials strategy in alignment with the PTP Content Strategy.
- Develop an annual plan to project Xtra’s editorial voice to reach and engage with identified audiences.
- Develop strategies to consistently plan and design creative storytelling solutions using all media mix options (video, photo, text, imagery, animations etc.) to maximize engagement, distribution and audience growth.
- Understand audience research insights with a shared accountability for audience results.
- Ensure ongoing consultation with PTP senior management as required for the development of editorial ideas and activities.
- Develop partnerships and joint projects with appropriate organizations.
- Lead and participate in the building and maintenance of editorial sources and networks within our communities; manage and grow relationships with community leaders and subject matter experts; make connections within appropriate movements, communities, organizations and businesses. Explore content partnership opportunities with credible media and content organizations.
Editorial & Content
- Act as a catalyst around content creation, integrating workflows and implementing content strategies with special focus on audio and video digital offerings.
- Ensure the right systems and structures are in place and that our processes lead to the consistent publication of world-class journalism and other content.
- Create and maintain integrated editorial workflows.
- Set tactical planning and workflow designs so they are optimized for consistent, maximum content production from a small journalism team.
- Meet editorial standards (factual accuracy, immediacy, fairness, legality, obscenity and adherence to style), so they are congruent with editorial directions. Ensure transparent communication of standards and processes with our audiences.
- Drive collaboration among all members of the editorial teams throughout the planning and execution process to ensure fully integrated, mixed media storytelling that conforms to style, platform, guidelines and PTP mission and strategy.
- Position journalism and content initiatives to a high standard and maximum impact.
- Represent the Press and Xtra within our communities and in the media, as required.
- Actively recruit and identify talent and ensure ongoing skills development.
- Manage the journalism and content budgets and funds to ensure content production and departmental efficiency, and according to established accounting policies and procedures.
- Develop an annual editorial budget and operating plan.
- Ensure that activities operate within the approved budgets.
- Ensure that financial records are up-to-date.
- Provide required information in a timely fashion to have invoices and accounts payables generated and distributed.
- Ensure the right content is published to maximize audience engagement and growth.
- Working with the Social Media Manager and Marketing teams, lead and manage journalism’s participation in social media and online conversations.
- Collaborate with the Product Owner and Marketing teams to ensure superior content design and distribution and to support the creation and implementation of campaigns, activities and events aimed at projecting our voice and growing our audience.
- Working with the Product Owner and Marketing teams, identify, implement and manage social media and live activities to ensure consistency in engagement and impact with audiences.
- Working with the Product Owner and Marketing teams, identify and record metrics, and use them to manage activities to ensure consistency in engagement and impact.
- Develop activities to maximize audience input into journalism discussions where appropriate.
- Identify and develop talent within PTP and within the freelance community externally.
- Manage performance of subordinates: make hiring, termination, promotion, development, and compensation decisions within established framework.
- Delegate authority within established internal controls.
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership role.
- Experience leading multi-platform content teams.
- Constantly expands both internal and external networks, tapping into expertise that helps us increase awareness of the organization, opens up possibilities, expands our influence, and presents opportunities for partners and alliances that will grow our business.
- A creative thinker with journalistic experience.
- Possesses and maintains comprehensive knowledge of the regulatory and governance requirements and political environment in which PTP operates.
- Demonstrates financial acumen, business comprehension, and engage in best practices.
- Ensures that operational and transformational change management required for success is executed well.
- Possesses a digital modern skillset; applies metrics and other data to support wise decision-making, drive results, and increase transparency and accountability.
- Displays effective leadership in areas of team building, collaboration, transparency, and engagement; Lead different types of teams effectively, overcome hurdles, inspire confidence, and create trust.
- Works collaboratively with senior leaders as a first team, and with all staff, in the best interests of the entire organization, and models this behaviour for their staff.
- Aligned with PTP’s mission, demonstrating sex-positivity and nurturing connections with LGBTQ+ communities.
- A clear appreciation of PTP’s mission and a readiness to enthusiastically advance its work, demonstrating sex-positivity and nurturing connections with LGBTQ+ communities.
- Demonstrates an agile mindset: is responsive to external forces, adaptive and not afraid of change, delivers faster, and reduces waste to improve effectiveness.
- Embodies an innovative mindset, nurturing the following traits in themselves and others: risk tolerance, openness to ideas, action-oriented, and emotional stability.
- Ambitious, creative, and driven.
- Identifies and resolves issues quickly, problem-solves and generates solutions.
- Strives for excellence. Tests, evaluates and course corrects. Fosters an environment of learning and constant improvement.
- Builds and leverages an inclusive culture which values diversity of experience and opinion, recognizing that this is foundational to creativity, innovation, and the future success of PTP.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Competitive pay and a great group of people to spend time with every day.
- Flexible schedule.
- Amazing benefits: health, dental, orthodontic, vision, etc.
- A company matched pension plan and life and disability insurance.
- Access to all the training and support you need to get the job done.
- An opportunity to be part of an exciting, growing organization.
We invite candidates to apply by email with your cover letter stating you found this on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and résume no later than Monday, May 23rd, 2022. Send to Searchlight Partners: PTP@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
PTP is committed to Employment Equity, and to providing a fair and equitable work environment. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal people, those living with disabilities, and people who are visible minorities. We are a trans-inclusive organization.
You do not need to be a part of the LGBTQ2+ community in order to work here – allies are absolutely welcome to apply.
PTP is committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process.
Applicants should make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
Pink Triangle Press
2 Carlton St, Suite 1600