The Mississauga News
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posted: April 21, 2022
Salary: not stated
Metroland is seeking an energetic and experienced Online Editor to join its fast-paced newsroom with the Mississauga News.
You have a voracious appetite for news and a knack for promoting stories to an online audience. You use your technical skills to enhance our digital storytelling abilities, engage readers on a variety of social media platforms, curate content and keep a close eye on analytics and the performance of content.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Curate website and newsletter content, with an ability to recognize best placement based on significance, timeliness and reader engagement.
- Understand the value of information, great and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and the newspaper's readers.
- Apply metrics and analytics to help us determine how to best reach our audiences, maximize traffic and increase reader engagement.
- Copyedit breaking news, with an eye for clarity, adherence to Canadian Press and Metroland style, as well as SEO.
- Manage social media accounts.
- Monitor other news sites, social media, etc. for news and trends and assign stories accordingly.
- Monitor internal news wire for content.
- Create and share regular digital reports for newsroom team.
- Coach reporters on best practices in a digital first newsroom, including SEO and story optimization.
- Report on breaking news stories and events in the community (if applicable to your newsroom).
- Other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- egree or diploma in journalism or related field and experience in a similar role.
- A motivated self-starter with a passion for digital content, new media and technology.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Proven experience curating an online publication and newsletters, and use of social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Well-versed in Canadian libel law and Canadian Press style.
- Experience in copyediting and coaching reporters.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend.
- Must be able to work remotely.
- Must be able to travel within the community for work as necessary.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.