Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Posted: April 9, 2022
Deadline: June 9, 2022
Metroland Media is a progressive media organization with a long and distinguished history. Its businesses include more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario. Metroland’s parent company, Torstar Corporation, also publishes a number of regional daily newspapers.
In addition, Metroland Media offers flyer distribution services, omnichannel marketing solutions and parcel delivery. Our company is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, collaborative, agile, results driven and focused.
The Huntsville Forester is looking for an editorial assistant to join its fast-paced newsroom. The successful candidate will provide support to editors and reporters in producing content for print and online.
- Enter submitted content into online content management system with an eye for good SEO.
- Support editors in managing the flow of content from digital to print.
- Write engaging posts for social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook.
- Play a key role in managing events calendar, promotion and coverage.
- Support reporters with research and fact-checking.
- Other duties as required.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members and the community.
- Understanding of SEO.
- Competent in social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- An interest in community journalism.
- Must be able to work remotely.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.