|Director Marketing & Communications Markham Campus
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posted: January 14, 2022
York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
Markham Campus (MC) will embed York University in the heart of one of the most diverse and dynamic urban communities in the province and country. Reflecting the local economy, academic programs and research will revolve around the core themes of technology and entrepreneurship and how they are driving innovation across all areas of knowledge and society. Challenging the traditions of what a university campus can offer, Markham Campus will act as a unique meeting place for students to interact directly with employers, start-up companies, and community partners from across the region.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategy and Administration (EDSA), and indirectly to the University's Chief Communications & Marketing Officer (CCMO), the Director, Marketing & Communications is a member of the senior leadership team of MC and supports the MC Deputy Provost and other Senior level Executives. The Director is responsible for marketing and communications planning and implementation, providing leadership to drive the success of the Campus plan, academic mission, and York's brand and values.
Utilizing novel digital platforms for communicating and marketing the Campus identity, the Director will have an affinity for emerging digital technologies (e.g., VR/AR) in an effort to connect with a broader audience. The Director will collaborate with colleagues to promote the distinctive identity of York's Markham Campus as an important part of York's multi-campus strategy in the national and international marketplace. Working collaboratively with the Communications & Public Affairs Division (C&PA), ensures that efforts are complimentary, synergistic, and aligned with the Institutional Communications Plan Framework and strategies.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will bring the following:
- University degree, preferably a master's degree in English, journalism or a communications related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years of leadership experience in communications, marketing and/or public relations, including significant demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategic communications and marketing strategies.
- Experience in a matrixed organization having had a leadership role in communications and marketing producing a variety of communication vehicles aimed at various internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, marketing and brand management, internal communications and culture change, media relations and external communications.
- Demonstrated success in profile building and the creation of innovative, successful, communication strategies by leading staff within a large portfolio in a complex unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with partner groups to influence and provide strategic communications advice, counsel, and support.
- Demonstrated experience in website management, reputation, brand management, and profile building using digital (web and social media) platforms.
- Credentials as a Public Relations executive with public service experience, second language and prior experience as a journalist are assets.
For full position details, including skills and knowledge requirements, and to apply to this exciting opportunity visit the External Career Portal (www.yorku.ca/jobs) and refer to posting 104543 We offer comprehensive benefits and access to superb educational and recreational facilities. For more information on what York has to offer U please visit: http://hr.info.yorku.ca/benefits/