Queen's Park Briefing
|Reporter (6-month contract)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: November 11, 2021
Queen's Park Briefing is the leading subscription newsletter service at Ontario's legislature. We provide our readers with comprehensive coverage that walks them through the legislative process, explains policy proposals and gives context for the politics of the day. We do this through a combination of daily original articles, two newsletters a day, podcasts and breaking news as needed.
Torstar is a farseeing progressive media company with a long, proud history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media.
We are looking for a temporary full-time political reporter with an interest in political journalism and who possesses excellent journalistic judgment and strong storytelling skills. The ideal candidate is creative, collaborative, and driven by curiosity. They can work efficiently, independently and as part of a team. They bring original and newsy ideas to the table. They are able to report on breaking news quickly and accurately.
- Daily pitches related to Queen's Park policy and politics, with a focus on explaining policies and decision-making, as well as breaking news
- Write stories on a daily basis, as well as editing and performing other duties as needed
- Pitch stories that look ahead to key issues and politics in the 2022 Ontario election, especially Pones that use polling and voting data
- Report to and work with the Sr. Editor to file accurate, timely and clean copy that is consistent with CP style
Strong writing skills, a solid grasp of Canadian Press style, and an ability to meet tight deadlines are a must. Bilingualism, audio editing, and data analysis skills are assets for this role.We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Post-secondary education in journalism, political science, economics or a related field
- Experience as a working journalist, preferably with a demonstrated interest in political coverage
- Must be familiar with Queen’s Park stakeholders and work towards building and maintaining those relationships
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and collaborate with colleagues in a positive and upbeat manner
- Familiarity with libel law and a track record for upholding high journalistic standards
- Limited evening or weekend work may be required
- Nice-to-have but not must-have skills: Data analysis, mapping, audio editing, ability to speak French.
- An Ontario driver’s license is helpful but not require
Apply online here with your application, please include a resume, a brief cover letter highlighting your strengths as a reporter, and any relevant work samples. (You will be able to attach additional documents to your application after submitting). Please state that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.
Please note that while we review and appreciate all applications, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.