Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: November 2, 2021
Deadline: November 30, 2021
Newcom Media is seeking a reporter for Canadian Underwriter, Canada’s leading publication for property and casualty insurance professionals. Serving Canada’s insurance industry for more than 85 years, Canadian Underwriter is published eight times yearly alongside a daily news website.
The reporter will join an experienced, energetic and passionate team of journalists and report to the editor and managing editor. This role combines both strategic and tactical responsibilities. The successful candidate will produce top-notch journalism that focuses on issues of concern for Canadian brokers and insurance professionals.
- Pitch, write, edit and produce daily content for print and digital platforms.
- Develop one or more beats while maintaining knowledge of broader topics.
- Cultivate industry sources and attend industry events (virtual and, when public health measures allow, in person).
- Support the editor and managing editor in strategy and content planning.
- Track digital analytics with a focus on identifying reader engagement trends and increasing traffic.
- Collaborate with editorial team members and with colleagues in other departments, including sales, circulation, digital and content solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong journalist and editor with a track record of executing daily operations.
- Strong news judgment and experience developing story ideas for all platforms for a sophisticated audience.
- Ability to write news and analysis pieces from various sources with speed and clarity.
- Strong research, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Eagerness to be immersed in the world of personal and business/commercial property and casualty insurance.
- Ability to meet tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum five years of related experience, ideally with a focus on business reporting.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism, business or related field.
- Comfortable with social media and online content management. Wordpress experience is an asset.
- Comfortable with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InCopy.
Please submit a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Job Board, resume and three samples of your work with the subject line “Reporter application” to Phillip Porado, managing editor at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls.
About Newcom Media Inc.
Newcom Media Inc. is one of Canada’s leading B2B publishers and event producers serving the dental, fashion, financial, insurance, meetings & incentives travel, supply chain, trucking, and waste management sectors. A family owned and operated business, the company’s motto is, “We serve our customers best by putting our readers first.” Headquartered in Toronto, Newcom has operations in Quebec and the U.S.
Newcom Media welcomes and encourages applications from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
5353 Dundas St. West Suite 400
Web address: http://newcom.ca/