The Toronto Star
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: October 26, 2021
Salary: not stated
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
The Toronto Star is looking for a nifty writer who likes to tell other people what to think.
The editorial writer is responsible for writing editorials on a wide variety of subjects. The successful candidate will be required to absorb complex subjects and make sense of them quickly. The primary task is writing, but this role also involves editing and overseeing of the editorial pages in the absence of the editorial page editor.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished writer with broad experience covering a wide variety of subjects. You will be agile, collaborative, and eager to work through ideas with colleagues. You will show a thoughtful and thorough understanding of the Toronto Star’s editorial principles and values as well as the Star’s positions on important issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
- Meaningful professional experience (5 years or more) at a major news organization
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep, broad knowledge of current affairs. Experience covering public affairs (such as a political bureau and/or major beats) is a distinct asset
- Excellent news judgment, storytelling, and multimedia skills
- Advanced writing skills and story-telling ability
- Demonstrated ability in opinion writing
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven that enables the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with access to information procedures and databases
- Well versed in CP style
This is a notice of vacancy under Article 8 of collective agreement between Toronto Star Newspapers Limited and Unifor Local 87M. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement. This position will be located at 1 Yonge St. in Toronto, Ontario.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.
Interested must apply online here, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.