Yukon News (Black Press)
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posted: October 15, 2021
Deadline: December 15, 2021
The Yukon News, a twice-weekly community newspaper based in Whitehorse and known for producing award-winning journalism, has an opening for a full-time multimedia journalist.
As one of five reporters, you’ll cover general assignment, breaking news and sports. You’ll also produce features for the arts, business and life sections.
Yukon News is part of Black Press, Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Washington and Alaska.
The successful candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing skills for print and web.
- Comfortability covering a wide variety of topics.
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment.
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of photography, and video shooting and editing. Regular video production is a standard requirement in all Black Press newsrooms.
- The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, iMovie and Canadian Press style.
A driver’s licence and vehicle are mandatory, and applicants must hold a formal journalism degree or diploma. We offer a strong benefits package. This position involves frequent weekend and evening assignments.
Forward resume, writing samples and cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board to:
Editor, Yukon News
Editorial director Black Press Media
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants must be able to legally work in Canada.