Regina Leader-Post (Postmedia)
|Provincial Politics/Legislative Reporter
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posted: October 13, 2021
Deadline: October 31, 2021
Postmedia is a Canadian news media company representing more than 125 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team
Working out of the Regina Leader-Post newsroom and the Saskatchewan Legislative Building, the ideal candidate is an enterprising self-starter and team player with a sense for stories that resonate with Saskatchewan’s readers, particularly those in a government town like Regina. The candidate should be able to cultivate sources, find stories buried in documents and break news on tight deadlines, while writing in a way that is clear, concise and engaging. Knowledge of Saskatchewan politics and the practices and procedures of a provincial legislature will be considered assets.
What you’ll do:
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda for political coverage in Saskatchewan’s Postmedia newspapers.
- Reporting and writing stories for print, web and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Appear regularly on Postmedia Saskatchewan’s video series/podcast, Inside the Marble Palace.
- Filing video clips for digital platforms; working with digital teams to create interactive maps and graphics, searchable databases, and other multimedia elements.
Who you are:
- You have 3+ years of newsroom experience.
- You have a talent for explanatory journalism to translate what happens in the halls and chambers of the Legislative Building and other government offices to expert and novice readers alike.
- You can lead by example for a group of diverse newsroom employees.
- You have the flexibility to write effectively in breaking news, features and short form.
- You have the drive and ability to dig deep, to get answers and to be able to see story angles behind what the politicians say.
- You need an ability to identify trends and drivers behind the news that allows you to explain why and how, as well as what is happening.
- Experience and strength in video or podcast presentation is an asset.
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Should you be interested in this opportunity please forward a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume to: