Location: Sechelt, British Columbia
Posted: October 12, 2021
Deadline: October 21, 2021
Salary: Appropriate + benefi
Coast Reporter, an award winning weekly newspaper, is the leading online and in print media on B.C.’s Sunshine Coast. Located just an hour’s travel, by ferry, from Vancouver, the Sunshine Coast spans several Coastal communities along 100 kilometers of coast line. The communities of Gibsons, Roberts Creek, Sechelt, Halfmoon Bay, Pender Harbour and Egmont dot the coast and create a wonderful coastal community oozing in charm.
Coast Reporter was launched in 1997 by current publisher, Peter Kvarnstrom to serve these communities. Since then it has become one of Glacier Media’s most successful operations. The weekly paper on Fridays, is anxiously awaited for its local journalism, flyers and advertising. Online we publish continuously and are steadily growing our online reach and engagement.
We are looking for a journalist to lead our team, as editor, from our Sechelt based office. The successful candidate will manage a staff of two reporters, an editorial layout/support person and an array of freelance journalists covering many different community beats.
The editor, will be an integral part of our senior management team and will participate in weekly divisional and team meetings as well as working directly with and for the publisher. Regular op/ed writing is also important as our community relies heavily on our thoughts and the views represented on our letter pages, from our readers.
The successful candidate
- Will write some news stories, opinion pieces and columns
- Will edit all stories from staff and freelancers for CP style, accuracy and appropriateness
- Take photos and make selections for in paper and online publishing
- Will generate story ideas and vet all suggested story lines
- Lead the team in our Online Publishing endeavours. Regular content posting everyday and supervising the posting activity of other staff is critically important
- A journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of CP style
- Proficiency in all things “digital”
- Proven leadership skills and characteristics
- Strong and developing skills in digital publishing
- Experience leading a team of journalists
If this opportunity resonates with you, please send resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Peter Kvarnstrom, pbulisher
105-185 Victory Ship Way
Tel: (604) 788-6252