Advisor's Edge and Investment Executive (Newcom Media Inc.)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: September 8, 2021
Deadline: October 1, 2021
Newcom Media is seeking an Associate Editor for Advisor’s Edge and Investment Executive, Canada’s leading publications for financial advisors. Together, these brands have more than 50 years of experience serving Canada’s financial industry. Advisor’s Edge is published six times per year and Investment Executive runs 12 times, and both brands run news-oriented websites that are updated several times daily.
The Associate Editor will join an experienced, energetic and passionate team of financial journalists and report to the Editorial Director. This senior-level role combines both strategic and tactical responsibilities. The successful candidate will help ensure daily operations run smoothly while producing top-notch journalism that focuses on issues of concern for Canadian financial advisors and executives.
- Pitch, write, edit and produce content for print and digital platforms.
- Develop a beat while maintaining knowledge of other topics.
- Manage contributions by staff and freelance writers, contributors and designers.
- Cultivate industry sources and attend industry events (virtual and, when public health measures allow, in person).
- Support the production of a newspaper and print magazine.
- Perform quality control for print and digital products.
- Support the managing editor and editorial director in strategy and content planning.
- Track digital analytics with a focus on identifying reader engagement trends and increasing traffic.
- Collaborate with editorial team members and colleagues in other departments such as circulation, digital and content solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong journalist and editor with a track record of executing daily operations while improving operational efficiencies.
- Strong news judgment and experience developing story ideas for all platforms for a sophisticated audience.
- Able to write news and analysis pieces from various sources with speed and clarity.
- Able to manage freelancers and industry contributors to ensure timely copy flow and that editorial standards are met.
- Strong research, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Eagerness to be immersed in the worlds of finance, investment, tax, insurance and regulation.
- Able to meet tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum six years of related experience, ideally with a focus on business reporting.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in business, journalism or related field.
- Comfortable with social media and online content management. Wordpress experience is an asset.
- Comfortable with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InCopy.
- Ability to speak French is an asset.
About Newcom Media Inc.
Newcom Media Inc. is one of Canada’s leading B2B publishers and event producers serving the dental, fashion, financial, insurance, meetings & incentives travel, supply chain, trucking, and waste management sectors. A family owned and operated business, the company’s motto is, “We serve our customers best by putting our readers first.” Headquartered in Toronto, Newcom has operations in Quebec and the U.S.
Newcom Media welcomes and encourages applications from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, resume and three samples of your work with the subject line Associate Editor application to:
Newcom Media Inc.
5353 Dundas St. W
Tel: (416) 847-8038