Ottawa Citizen (Postmedia)
|News Editor, City
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: July 27, 2021
Postmedia is a Canadian newsmedia company representing more than 140 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
The Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Sun newsroom has an immediate opening for digital journalism leader to help set the news agenda in the nation’s capital. This position reports to the managing editor of the Ottawa Citizen & Ottawa Sun.
- Oversee the afternoon news operation; ensuring the team is on track to lead the market in breaking news.
- Assign news and feature stories and work with reporters on developing them.
- Edit news and feature stories to the highest editorial standards.
- Help develop and execute the newsroom’s newsletter and digital engagement strategies.
- Final sign-off and approval of the print products.
This position involves working one weekend day (Sunday) and afternoons/evenings, for the most part, although schedules may change.
You possess some or all of the following skills:
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Strong communicator. If anything, you over communicate.
- Leadership. You lead via collaboration and influence, manage conflict gracefully. This may be your first management position, but you’ve a track record of leading others.
- Creativity. You’re able to envision the next-day story, find the quirky angle or enterprising feature, think of something we should be explaining.
- Passion for innovative digital storytelling.
- Entrepreneurship. You’re constantly coming up with the new ideas to engage readers, whether it’s a social Q&A or a new newsletter.
- Strong headline and display copy writing skills.
- Experience in a daily newsroom is necessary. Bonus points if you know Ottawa well.
- Knowledge of French is an asset, but not a requirement.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Interested applicants should submit a cv and examples of their work, along with a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, to:
Tel: (437) 225-5545