Blue Ant Media
|Telecom Reporter, MobileSyrup
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 20, 2021
Blue Ant Media is a privately-held, international content producer, distributor and channel operator. We own and operate numerous production companies in North America and Asia-Pacific under the Blue Ant Studios banner, creating content for broadcasters and streaming platforms in multiple genres including factual entertainment, natural history, documentary, adult animation and drama. Our distribution business, Blue Ant International, offers a substantial catalogue of content, including one of the world’s largest 4K natural history offerings. Blue Ant Media operates channels under nine brands including Love Nature, Smithsonian Channel Canada, BBC Earth (Canada) and more. Blue Ant Media is headquartered in Toronto, with seven international offices in Los Angeles, New York, Singapore, Tokyo, London, Washington and Beijing. Blueantmedia.com
Our productions and media brands are a product of our employees who are passionate experts in all of these areas. They are fanatical about creating outstanding content and experiences; and enthusiastic about delivering it on new and evolving platforms.
We actively seek out people who embody our core values: optimism, creativity, entrepreneurism, agility and integrity. We attract creative talents who are optimistic about the evolving future of content and who take pride in seeing opportunity where others see challenges. We encourage employees to think like small business owners by taking ownership on projects and giving them the flexibility to take risks and embrace an evolving media landscape. Our team members excel at collaborating with internal and external partners and our culture fosters sharing ideas and treating all people with respect.
Are you one of us?
Telecom Reporter, MobileSyrup
MobileSyrup.com’s telecom and business reporter covers Canada’s telecommunications industry along with matters related to Canadian technology and privacy. This includes writing daily stories about telecommunications news that affects the average consumer and long-form features about larger topics such as 5G and government initiatives.
The ideal candidate for this position has a broad base of knowledge in the telecommunications industry. The reporter needs to be ready to tackle breaking news and write quickly and error-free. The reporter will also often be required to quickly line-up interviews with sources following significant announcements.
MobileSyrup strives to represent all Canadians and create a diverse and collaborative workspace. We highly encourage visible minorities, women, LGBTQ and people with disabilities to apply.
Core Responsibilities & Duties
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge of the Canadian telecommunications industry and matters related to Canadian innovation and privacy.
- Write informed stories about ongoing telecommunications news related to 5G, carriers, infrastructure announcements, government initiatives in technology and more.
- Be on top of upcoming announcements regarding telecommunications news from the Canadian government and the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) .
- Conduct interviews with telecommunications executives, the CRTC and members of government regarding issues related to telecommunications.
- Write stories based on research and analytics reports about the current state of the telecommunications industry in Canada.
- Attend press conferences and technical briefings prior to announcements.
- Create professional relationships with sources and members within the industry.
- Monitor the CRTC and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) websites throughout the day for announcements and updates. The reporter will also need to monitor the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s announcements for matters related to technology.
- Post all stories directly onto the website content management system (WordPress).
- Monitor the daily unique visits and page views of your stories using Google Analytics.
- Adjust and enhance your own website content based on past performance using data insights.
- A degree in journalism or a related field is preferred
- A minimum of two years experience writing and reporting
- Experience and fluency with digital web publishing ideally using WordPress
- Understanding of basic digital marketing principles such as strong SEO including headline writing, keyword research, image tags, trends, etc.
- Ability to source and attach related thumbnail images to your stories
- Familiarity with most social media platforms and ability to post your stories to relevant social channels
Blue Ant Media celebrates diversity in both its programming and workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds who are eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all candidates for their interest in Blue Ant Media and we will reach out to those candidates that are under consideration. If you are contacted for an interview and require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.
All interested applicants are to submit a resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Blue Ant Media
130 Merton St, Suite 200
Tel: (416) 722-4556