General Synod of The Anglican Church of Canada
|Editor - The Anglican Journal
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 15, 2021
Deadline: September 7, 2021
The General Synod of The Anglican Church of Canada is seeking an EDITOR for The Anglican Journal and related publications.
- Salary: Starting at $70 000 (based on experience)
- Full-time permanent role
- Pension and benefits package
- Office located in downtown Toronto near the Bloor / Yonge subway station. Occasional opportunities to work from home anticipated.
The Anglican Journal (www.anglicanjournal.com) is an award-winning publication that addresses issues ranging from the impact of Indigenous residential schools to theology to church life. “The Journal” will be celebrating 150 years of publication in 2025. The Anglican Journal is the national voice of The Anglican Church of Canada and works closely with 19 regional publications that support dioceses across Canada.
The editor helps tell the story of The Anglican Church of Canada and its communities primarily through the Anglican Journal in print and on other platforms. The Editor manages the Anglican Journal and related publications and staff assigned to the team. Works with the Director, Communications, the Communications and Information Resources Coordinating Committee and Anglican Journal Editorial Board to set direction for publications and is responsible for implementing direction. This position reports to the Director, Communications.
- Provides journalistic leadership for publications and maintains journalistic integrity. Responsible for journalistic content in publications on all platforms.
- Ensures publications meet or exceed editorial and journalistic standards, policies, and practices.
- Develops editorial calendar with the Director, Communications.
- Edits content and provides editorial guidance to writers and other employees.
- Answers letters, public inquiries, and content pitches.
- Creates original content.
- Writes leads, pulls quotes and supports the layout of the print edition each month.
- Some copy editing.
Supervisory & leadership overview
- Provides editorial and supervisory support and direction to staff. Hires staff and engages freelancers with approval of Director, Communications.
- Suggests content themes, story ideas, and assigns stories.
- Participates in meetings of the coordinating committee and Editorial Board. Provides input to these groups and manages implementation of strategic direction including journalistic standards and accountability.
- Organizes budgeting and the Heritage Canada grant.
Works in a standard office environment with freedom to structure tasks, move around, some lifting (under 25lbs) and occasional overnight travel. Other items are working with visual detail, frequent deadlines, occasional work outside or beyond normal business hours.
Who we are
The General Synod of The Anglican Church of Canada is the national voice of The Anglican Church of Canada and provides support to dioceses, parishes, and ministries across Canada. Join us in supporting a diverse community of faith! For more information, please visit. Our office is conveniently located near the Bloor / Yonge subway stop.
- Experience, education and competencies
- Progressive experience in newspapers or magazines including at least 3 years in editorial roles.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to perform essential job functions and provide the required knowledge and abilities.
- Proficiency with PC platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, InCopy/InDesign or desktop publishing software and Photoshop
- Supervisory and budgeting experience preferred.
- Relevant degree preferred.
- Experience and understanding of working within a faith, not-for-profit, fundraising or social issue context preferred.
- Criminal reference / education check required on offer.
The Anglican Church of Canada is an inclusive employer. Accommodation measures will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code. If you require accommodation measures to participate in the recruitment process, please direct the request to the email address as noted: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Review of applications will start Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter, quoting the job title EDITOR and stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, to:
The Anglican Church of Canada