Ladysmith Chronicle (Black Press Media)
Location: Ladysmith, British Columbia
Posted: July 13, 2021
Deadline: August 31, 2021
This is a prime opportunity to build or continue a career as an editor in the beautiful community of Ladysmith on Vancouver Island.
Black Press employs more than 150 journalists in the province, creating high-quality news content for multimedia platforms in addition to long-standing, profitable print products.
We are seeking an experienced journalist who brings advanced journalism skill sets, and a sincere desire to absorb the lifestyle in Ladysmith, a vibrant and diverse community near Victoria.
The Ladysmith Chronicle editor works in a solo newsroom, as part of a large, cohesive news team in the south Island region region, and as an integral part in the full B.C. network of 70-plus newsrooms, guided by senior provincial editors.
The editor works with the publisher, as well as contributing content to sister publications in the region. A proven track record of community interaction and representation of a newspaper or other organization in the community is important.
Black Press is Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, Washington, Alaska, the Yukon and Hawaii.
We offer competitive salary and benefit packages, as well as the opportunity to advance within the company’s editorial structure.
The successful applicant will possess outstanding writing and oral communication skills and a clear understanding of copy-editing, grammar and Canadian Press style. The editor/reporter is responsible for a wide range of writing assignments, photography, video, social media engagement, and page layout.
Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines in a weekly production environment are vital.
The successful candidate will:
- Possess an excellent understanding of social media, photography, video and print journalism. Broadcast training and experience is a distinct asset, as well as a working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and iMovie.
- Assist and lead the ongoing development of website optimization and content, driving immediacy and fresh content.
- Produce quality written articles and video reports, as well as opinion writing.
- Candidates must be Canadian citizens or hold permanent resident status in Canada.
- A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and smartphone are mandatory.
N.B. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Those wishing to apply for this position can send their cover letter - stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resumes to:
Please cc your application to:
Black Press Media
Unit 210 – 15288 54A Ave
Web address: http://www.blackpress.ca