SooToday (Village Media)
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Posted: July 7, 2021
Did you know that SooToday.com is one of the most-read community news sites in Canada per capita? Do you have a strong background in journalism and want to take your career to the next level?
Village Media is searching for an experienced individual to fill a full-time Community Editor position with our SooToday news team, which is part of our rapidly-growing network of local news and information websites.
Who You Are
You are a thinker, an innovator and a collaborative leader. You have excellent news judgment and thrive in a fast-paced environment. You want to try new things. You are passionate about technology. You are driven to keep your readers informed and connected to one another by practicing service journalism. You are committed to understanding the community you serve and the issues it faces, and to guiding your newsroom to confront those issues through a solutions journalism approach.
- Lead our editorial team in Sault Ste. Marie;
- Guide and develop a skilled team of writers and editors;
- Ensure all content is impeccable and exercise excellent editorial judgment;
- Demonstrate comprehensive community coverage
About Village Media:
Village Media is an ever-expanding network of local news and community websites. We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists in the communities we serve. In addition to local news, our sites offer weather, events, obituaries and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities where we operate. We support local events and charitable causes and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We are more than just news: Village Media is all about community
Your Skills are Learned and Earned
- Your commitment to fairness, accuracy, transparency and impeccable journalism ethics come from education and real world experience.
- To start, you have a bachelor’s degree or diploma in Journalism, or a related field.
- You have at least five years of experience in a newsroom setting.
- You have exceptional writing and editing skills and a thorough knowledge of CP style.
- You will have the ability to build strong relationships with those inside our Village and within the community we serve.
If this sounds like the perfect position for you, we would love to hear from you!
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Gaulin Media) and resume, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications for all current openings must be submitted through the Village Media Portal