The Pembina Institute
|Senior Communications Lead (Ontario)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: June 10, 2021
Deadline: June 23, 2021
The Pembina Institute is seeking a politically astute strategic thinker with demonstrated media savvy and strong writing and editing skills to join our communications and engagement team. This highly collaborative position, based in Toronto, Ont., requires a team player with strong interpersonal and leadership skills, positive energy, a high degree of organization and the ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment. The ideal candidate is someone who shows initiative by using their skills to advance the goals of the organization as a whole, while providing communications leadership, ideas and support for various program areas and specific projects.
Creating and executing on strategy is an essential part of this role, and the ideal candidate will excel at big-picture thinking while also being detail-oriented. The senior communications lead is a key contact for journalists and members of the public for assigned regional and national goals, as well as a key instigator of mainstream, social and digital media efforts on priority issues, while interacting with other members of the communications team, the Ontario region staff, and staff across the organization on a regular basis.
The role, reporting to the senior manager strategic communications and working closely with the Ontario regional director and strategic partnerships team, requires demonstrated strategic planning and project management skills, strong writing/editing ability, media experience, strategic communications experience, fluency in social media, and familiarity with emerging communications trends and digital publishing.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Canadian energy and climate issues, have a strong understanding of federal and provincial politics, be familiar with Ontario and national media markets, and have a strong interest in our programs focused on decarbonizing transportation as we develop an equitable, resilient economy.
Why the Pembina Institute?
The Pembina Institute is a national non-partisan think tank that advocates for strong, effective policies to support Canada’s clean energy transition. Through research, consulting and convening, we employ multi-faceted and highly collaborative approaches to change to reduce the environmental impacts of energy production and use.
Our people are passionate about sustainability and dedicated to enabling positive social change. Our organizational culture encourages creativity and collaboration, and we offer a flexible and fast-paced work environment that rewards honest character, personal initiative and innovation. The successful candidate will join our dynamic team of nationally recognized professionals working on delivering clean energy solutions into the hands of Canada’s decision-makers and key influencers.
Our core values
Climate change threatens everyone. We must come together to evolve how energy is created and consumed through solutions based on equity, curiosity, evidence-based thinking and practicality.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to apply a wide range of communications skills and approaches to help staff communicate effectively and strategically with the Pembina Institute’s core audiences, which include government and business decision-makers, policy influencers, journalists, stakeholders and the public.
You will develop and execute communications strategies for national, regional and program goals, help design and manage projects, and develop and deliver communications tactics. You’ll work with our strategic partnerships team on proposal development and cases for support. You’ll monitor media coverage, co-ordinate interviews, and develop relationships with journalists, communicators and social media influencers following climate, energy and environmental policy issues. You’ll mentor technical writers to help them hone their style, messaging, focus and social media presence, and you will coach spokespeople on their performance skills and provide support on message development and media outreach. Through your efforts, you will help the Pembina Institute make meaningful advancements toward Canada’s transition to clean energy.
The full-time position may require some travel and occasional work on evenings and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary rate is competitive for a communications professional in the environmental nonprofit sector and will be based on skills, experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
- extended health and dental
- four weeks of holidays per year
- flexible work hours
- RRSP plan
- training and development opportunities
Further terms of employment will be discussed with candidates during the interview process.
Skills and Qualifications
Other Valuable Qualifications
- Candidates must clearly reflect the following skills and experience in their application:
- A combination of a relevant educational background and a minimum of three years of work experience in journalism is required
- A minimum of seven years work experience in communications, media relations, marketing or a related field is an asset
- Experience developing and executing communications strategy and/or plans
- Familiarity with provincial and federal policy and politics, particularly with respect to Canadian energy and environmental issues
- Familiarity with Ontario media markets
- A deep interest in Canadian energy and environmental policy issues
- Attention to detail and a commitment to personal excellence
- A superb command of the English language (reading, writing and speaking)
- Proven skills and experience in media relations, digital engagement, popular communications, technical and copy editing, social media, online publishing and multimedia
- Excellent editing and popular writing skills in English
- Demonstrated knowledge of CP style and academic grammar and style conventions
- Demonstrated familiarity with various social media tools, platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube) and strategies
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with basic HTML editing, blogging and online publishing
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to exercise tact, discretion and sound judgment at all times
The ideal candidate will be:
- Experience using social media to build community and/or advocacy campaigns
- Experience developing, editing and producing multimedia products (audio/video podcasts, audio slideshows, YouTube videos, etc.).
- Ability to evaluate projects based on desired outcomes and develop strategies for improving results in the future
- French language proficiency (speaking and writing)
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Pardot or similar CRM software
- Experience working in the non-profit sector
- An independent and confident self-starter
- A creative, critical and strategic thinker
- A positive and collaborative team player
- Adept at tailoring communications approaches to suit the intended audience and platforms •Able to juggle competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of engaging effectively with remote colleagues (via virtual tools)
- Willing to learn
- Good at managing stress and personal resiliency
- Someone with a good sense of humour
Interested candidates should email their cover note - stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure the following:
- Subject line includes Senior Communications Lead, Ontario and your last name
- Cover letter (max. two pages) explains why you are interested in working with the Pembina Institute and how your skills and qualifications meet the criteria outlined for this position
- Resume outlines your relevant skills, education and experience
- Cover letter and resume are saved as one PDF document using the naming convention lastnamefirstletter-application-position-year.pdf
- example: smithm-application- application-CommsLead-Ontario-2021.pdf
Application deadline: 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, June 23, 2021.
The Pembina Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.