BayToday (Village Media)
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posted: May 4, 2021
Village Media is a network of local news and information websites that is rapidly expanding across the country and we are looking for a talented and motivated journalist to fill a full-time position at BayToday in North Bay, Ontario.
The successful candidate for this position:
- Is passionate about covering diverse issues
- Loves digging into a hard news story, but also writing about people’s passions and struggles
- Has experience as a published journalist
- Isn’t afraid to ask tough questions and is committed to watchdog journalism
- Has a working knowledge of municipal councils and school boards
- Are driven to find stories that matter to their community
- Relish chasing down a breaking news story and relaying it to readers as it happens
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and ethics
- Have exceptional writing skills and editing skills
- Are strongly team-oriented
About Village Media:
Village Media is an ever-expanding network of local news and community websites. We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists in the communities we serve. In addition to local news, our sites offer weather, events, obituaries and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities where we operate. We support local events and charitable causes and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We are more than just news: Village Media is all about community.
- Degree or diploma in journalism, or a related field;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills;
- Strong photography skills;
- Some photography and associated editing software experience;
- Able to work a variety of schedules, including evenings, nights and weekends;
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under pressure;
- A valid driver’s licence and a reliable vehicle;
- Willingness to relocate to North Bay, Ontario.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Gaulin Media) and resume, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications for all current openings must be submitted through the Village Media Portal.