Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: April 7, 2021
Salary: $60,000 - $85,000
Desired Start Date: May 1st, 2021
Future Majority is looking for an experienced communications director to take our engagement with media, donors, volunteers and target youth voter audiences to the next level. We’re organizing year-round to build political power for young Canadians, including running the largest young voter mobilization programs in the country.
In this leadership role, you’ll report to the managing director and work closely with other director level staff to do the following for our donor, target youth voter, volunteer, and media audiences:
- Develop a high level communications strategy for each audience segment
- Work closely with the relevant department (fundraising, organizing, special projects) to develop archetypes, messaging memos and other high level communications resources and structures to support staff in crafting impactful messages.
- Create and iterate on editorial processes and systems for each communication audience
- Lead the process with relevant departments on developing the messaging for new campaigns
- Write communication materials (Emails, blog posts, micro-site copy, donor reports), coach staff on their writing, and work with outside communications contractors.
- Our ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience designing and implementing a complex long-term communications strategy for a large organization. A deep commitment to youth priorities like action on climate change and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization is a must in this position.
About Future Majority
Future Majority is a national nonpartisan non-profit, founded in 2018. Our mission is to amplify the concerns of young Canadians so that EVERY candidate, politician, and party is an advocate for youth priorities. We set the agenda and impact policy by demonstrating our electoral strength and organizing ourselves in the places that matter most to politicians. Our approach focuses on authentic, peer-to-peer organizing, power building in politically important ridings, and youth leadership development. We’re for young people, by young people. Our impact and credibility with young voters positions us to help set Canada’s agenda around young Canadians’ priorities.
In the 2019 federal election, Future Majority organized 26,000 students to vote across 15 competitive ridings in Ontario, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick. In four of the ridings, we mobilized more students to the polls than the vote margin of the two leading parties running. In addition, through over 200 news stories including 38 national news stories like the front page of the Sunday Toronto Star, we spread our message that young Canadians are the largest voting bloc and our priorities are bold action on climate change and affordability.
Future Majority’s 2021 focus is building youth movement capacity for a potential fall 2021 federal election. Want to know more? Check us out at futuremajority.ca.
- Strategic Communications | Design, and implement a cohesive communications strategy which seeks to expand and improve Future Majority’s ability to effectively reach and mobilize young voters, recruit and engage new donors. Lead the development of brand design for new Future Majority ventures and initiatives.
- Audience Archetype Development | Oversee the segmenting and development of communication strategies for Future Majority’s various donor audiences, and various volunteer audiences. Collaborate with Future Majority’s Organizing Director and other staff to develop effective advocacy and legislative campaign messaging.
- Email, Website/Microsite, and Social Media Communications | Coach staff in copy writing for email, SMS, social media, and website/microsite communications for campaigns. Additionally, coach staff in copy writing for donor and prospective donor communications via email and newsletter. Develop a process for editorial review on all communications, including a communications calendar.
- Earned Media Communications | Develop media plans that amplify youth voices, highlight our strategic partnerships and improve our brand. Generate a broad range of high quality and targeted media coverage in a range of different media including online, print and broadcast with an eye to making new relationships and targeting non-traditional news outlets
- Deep commitment to Future Majority’s mission and theory of change, including advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through and within our organization.
- Highly organized (seriously) self-starter with serious initiative, and the ability to effectively manage and fully own projects with many moving parts. Excellent planning, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Track record of innovative and creative publicity ideas that have achieved high-quality coverage and real-world impact
- Excellent writing skills for different types of media and audiences
- Strategic and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills and a relentless commitment to constantly improving our work.
- At least 5 years of experience in the communications field. Experience designing brand identity and communications strategy for an organization.
- Workstyle that is flexible, respectful, collaborative and nimble. Positive and solutions-oriented.
- Bonus: You are able to fluently speak French.
Future Majority supports and encourages diversity and equity. We are striving to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender or identity. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply.
First Round Interview: Future Majority will invite a select number of candidates for the first-round interview over Google Hangout.
Takehome assignment: Candidates who pass the first round interview will be invited to complete a homework assignment which we expect to take between 5-7 hours to complete. To increase the accessibility of our application process and jobs to as many people as possible, we offer up to $105 to folks completing the assignment.
Final Interview: Candidates who pass the second round interview will be invited to a final interview.
Offer: Candidates who pass the final interview and reference checks are evaluated for an offer. To help meet our diversity, equity, and inclusion goals, Future Majority waits to evaluates the offer pool until at least one finalist is from an underrepresented community or background.
720 Bathurst St
Web address: http://www.futuremajority.ca/