The Canadian Press
Location: anywhere, Alberta
Posted: April 1, 2021
Deadline: April 19, 2021
We are seeking an ambitious, nimble and collaborative Indigenous journalist with a bottomless well of story ideas to join the Facebook Canadian Press News Fellowship program.
We are currently seeking expressions of interest from emerging Indigenous journalists in Canada. This fellowship opportunity is open to Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) applicants who are working or seeking work in media, or currently enrolled in a media or journalism program at a Canadian post-secondary institution.
This is a 12-month, full-time temporary position.
This opportunity is open to bilingual (English-French) and unilingual (English or French) applicants. The positions will be awarded on merit and there will be flexibility around assigning the geographical locations of the jobs for successful candidates, but we are hoping to locate this job in western Canada.
The ideal candidate will be a university graduate in journalism and/or relevant public policy disciplines, or have relevant related experience. The goal of the program is to increase community and regional level reporting on important stories from spot news to issue-driven coverage, presenting national context that explores consequences and solutions around a variety of issues, including reporting of Indigenous issues.
The successful candidate will be trained and mentored to become fully integrated into all aspects of CP editorial operations. For clarity, these positions are not intended to report exclusively on Indigenous issues, but to participate in the full range of coverage in a CP news bureau.
We are looking for a self-starter who is innately curious, works well in a team setting, takes direction and feedback easily, always hits tight deadlines and wants to make an impact. We are looking for rockets in search of launch pads.
Reporting to the local bureau chief, the successful applicant will:
- Report on a variety of assignments as assigned and become fully integrated in all aspects of all CP editorial operations.
- Produce original content for all CP platforms, including online, print, audio and video (some shift work may be required)
- Take interesting local and regional stories and make them nationally relevant
- Work creatively and concisely under tight deadline pressure in a digital environment
- There are no work requirements directly involving Facebook.
About the Facebook Canadian Press News Fellows
Facebook and The Canadian Press are partnering to create these fellowships for journalists to work for CP for a 12-month term. Funded by Facebook, the goal of the program is to increase community and regional level reporting on important stories from spot news to issue-driven coverage, presenting national context that explores consequences and solutions around a variety of issues.
About The Canadian Press:
The Canadian Press is a bilingual, multimedia news agency that has been providing Canadians with credible, reliable and impartial news coverage for more than 100 years. The Canadian Press is an equal-opportunity employer that supports the goals of employment equity and believes that everyone should be able to contribute to the company's success according to their abilities. We particularly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, members of visible minorities and people with disabilities.
- A university degree in journalism or related relevant discipline, or relevant related experience.
- Solid writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with CP style
- Superior research skills and seamless familiarity with social media platforms
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to organize time and workflow effectively
- Audio and video skills are an asset
- Bilingualism is an asset
Please submit your application online via our website. Please state you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.