|Deputy News Editor
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posted: March 23, 2021
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Newsroom editors at Brunswick News are our editorial leaders. They ensure a consistent, timely and relevant package of content is presented to our readers - driving engagement and attracting new customers. They are effective, professional managers of our reporters and collaborate on a daily basis with their editor colleagues, page building staff, the web desk and the editor-in-chief.
The deputy news editor position will be filled by an ambitious and experienced journalist. This person will have a strong understanding of journalism fundamentals as well as digital content tools such as social media, search-engine optimization and online presentation. This editor will work from our Saint John office.
- Assist the managing editors in co-ordinating the flow of copy each working day.
- Contribute to TJ.news digital growth goals - i.e. subscription sales and web traffic. Our task is to get the right story in front of the right reader at the right time.
- Ensure all aspects of assigned news stories are ready for publication online and in print - e.g. balance, context, completeness, readability, relevance, legal considerations.
- Step in to manage newsrooms at our various offices during managing editor absences. Occasional travel to other cities will be required.
- A Monday to Friday work week will be standard. However, covering some weekend shifts will be required as well.
- All other duties as assigned
- A track record of excellence in journalism.
- Ability to lead editorial staff.
- Knowledge of media law and CP Style.
- Desire to work as part of a team with the ability to juggle multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- BA degree, journalism degree/diploma and professional publishing courses are a plus.
Please send a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume to: