|New Media Reporter
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posted: March 5, 2021
Sudbury.com is looking for a talented, enthusiastic new media reporter/videographer to create and produce videos and write stories for our award-winning news website. This job is an 18-month maternity leave contract.
Northern Ontario's largest city, Greater Sudbury has an economy based in mining, but with strong health, education and service sectors, and a thriving arts and culture community.
Sudbury.com is a provincial and national award-winning news and information portal, part of the Village Media network of news websites. Billing ourselves as "Your home for everything Sudbury," Sudbury.com has a reputation for objectivity and accuracy, and we pride ourselves on being different.
The successful candidate will be a go-getter with a desire to chase down stories, to help grow our audience, and to self-generate story ideas for video. We love people who think differently. A demonstrable ability to shoot, produce and edit compelling, professional-quality video news pieces — either alone or in conjunction with a reporter — is a must.
The successful candidate will also be comfortable with creating, filming, hosting and troubleshooting livestream coverage of events. They will also have a thorough understanding of the importance of social media in today's news cycle, and an enthusiasm and ability to use social media to find stories and spread the reach of stories we produce.
We offer a competitive salary and strong health coverage for our employees.
- Film and edit video pieces to accompany or complement news articles or as stand-alone products
- Appear on camera as a reporter or host
- Write print articles for print publication as well as online
- Providing live video coverage of events and act as a producer and/or host for live coverage of events
- Posting material to Sudbury.com's community information portal
- Provide coverage of breaking news events or emergencies, outside normal business hours
- Provide weekend coverage as part of a rotation of reporters
- Produce live events, like our live election night shows
- Manage Sudbury.com’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, including moderating comments on Facebook and engaging with our audience
- Manage our flagship yearly Acts of Kindness campaign which includes presenting nominations to a committee, contacting potential recipients, sourcing sponsorships and appear as the host of the video series
- Ability to operate a professional camcorder and audio equipment is a must
- Solid experience with digital technology and editing software packages, including Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- Experience using live streaming software such as Livestream Studio or equivalent to produce live multi-camera productions
- On-camera experience, facility with voiceovers, ability to conduct stand-ups on location and compose compelling shots
- Creative mind and storytelling skills
- Ability to write print articles and produce photography to accommodate articles
- A good eye for composition
- Facility, enthusiasm and expertise with social media sites (e.g. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram)
- A degree or diploma in journalism or a related field
- A reliable vehicle
Interested candidates should send resume, samples and a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
158 Elgin Street