|Business & Growth Manager
Location: virtual office, 0
Posted: March 5, 2021
If you are passionate about the power of journalism for social change, and believe that sound revenue strategies and good administration are as key to success as are innovation, relationships and positive energy, then read on.
Founded in 2001, rabble.ca, Canada's first digital-only national non-profit media, seeks a Business and Growth Manager.
rabble.ca is unique in the media environment. It is a national online forum for daily news and analysis from the grassroots and labor movements, while also hosting community discussion and media spaces.
The ideal candidate for this position believes in social, racial, labor and environmental justice; is resourceful, works independently, but enjoys being part of a dynamic team, and has a capacity for juggling many projects simultaneously.
Our content is not hidden behind a paywall, and our revenue model relies upon converting readers into paying monthly members. The Business and Growth Manager will play a crucial role in attracting new audiences, deepening our engagement with them and growing our monthly membership program.
This position requires strong time management skills, a creative approach to making a big impact with a small budget. The person in this role must manage their own schedule and deliverables, as well as meet the needs of the rabble team.
Major areas of responsibility involve Fund-raising and Development, Advertising and Analytics, Event Services Coordination, Communications, Administration and Organization. The Business and Growth Manager reports to the publisher.
Fund-raising and Development responsibilities
Advertising & Analytics
- Budget development and management;
- Design and manage rabble’s digital acquisition funnel - from reader to donor to member;
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for rabble.ca audience growth in support of broader revenue and journalistic goals;
- Design, testing and running of fundraising campaigns - including direct mail, and online campaigns including drafting effective fundraising copy;
- Work with designers and content producers to produce compelling promotional material for campaigns and events;
- Manage donor recognition and acknowledgement, and lead the strategy for donor retention and renewal;
- Manage sponsorships and create new sponsorship and development opportunities;
- Support grant writing and reporting;
- Lead the organizing of public fundraising events;
- Support the publisher in major donor development and strategic revenue planning;rabble.ca currently uses Keela as its CRM, and WhatCounts and MailChimp for email marketing.
Event Services Co-ordination
- Manage advertising sales and media sponsorships;
- Prepare reports and analysis of analytics; rabble currently uses Google Ad Manager and Google Analytics.
Communications and Outreach
- Maintain materials for rabble’s event coverage services;
- Maintain and build contracts for services coordination and manage event coverage logistics and administration;
- Draft blog posts, press releases, social media posts, emails, fundraising materials, and other digital and print content related to revenue generation;
- Support rabble’s promotional strategies;
- Work with publisher and digital engagement editor to implement marketing and communications strategies to raise rabble’s profile, expand the readership base, reach new supporters and clients, and engage existing supporters and clients.
- Develop realistic budgets for fundraising events and campaigns and manage projects within those budgets;
- Review monthly donation and transaction reports and provide to bookkeepers;
- Ensure the quality of data in the CRM;
- Update best practices and policy documents as needed;
- Identify and lead improvements to fundraising and communications systems and practices;
- Recruit volunteers as needed;
- Co-ordinate with staff and contractors to manage project workflows;
- Maintain fundraising and event records and statistics.
- Attend regular staff meetings;
- Represent rabble.ca at events as required;
- Participate in organizational strategic planning; Supervision of staff, consultants and volunteers.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record of driving revenue growth and meeting ambitious revenue goals; CRM management, with specific expertise in email list-building, revenue generation (preferably at a non-profit), and Google Analytics, with a demonstrated excellent writing and editing skills.
Required skills and experience:
Desired skills and experience:
- Understanding of journalism membership models.
- Experience in a business development, fundraising or project coordination role, or comparable management experience.
- Experience in running and managing a digital acquisition funnel - from reader to donor to member;
- Familiarity with the tools of the trade: MailChimp or WhatCounts, CRM, social media platforms (familiarity with Keela an asset).
- Proven proficiency in Google Analytics.
- Proven proficiency in analytics for social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube).
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a firm grasp of CP style.
- Experience in organizing events
- Experience in budget development and management in a non-profit context;
- A background in journalism
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
Please don’t be discouraged from applying if you do not possess the precise combination of all of the skills, attributes, qualifications and experience listed above.
rabble.ca recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce and is committed to equity in its policies and practices, supports diversity in its journalistic and work environments, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under employment equity. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of the rabble.ca community are encouraged to apply.
Contract rate: Starting annual rate of $48,750 + benefits
Closing date: Open until filled. Interviews will begin March 12th.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with rabble.ca. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
To apply, please send a single PDF of your resume and cover letter (stating that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) with your full name “Business and Growth Manager” as the subject of the email to email@example.com.
192 Spadina Avenue, Suite # 335
Web address: http://www.rabble.ca