Grande Prairie Tribune
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Posted: January 6, 2021
Deadline: January 31, 2021
Postmedia is a Canadian newsmedia company representing more than 125 brands across multiple print, online and mobile platforms. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to millions of people every week whenever and wherever they want it.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
The Grande Prairie Tribune has an opening for a multimedia editor/journalist to help lead news and sports coverage in this busy city in northeastern Alberta. The successful candidate will also help oversee news coverage in the communities of Peace River and Fairview.
Applicants are expected to have strong news judgment, and demonstrable strengths in accurate reporting and editing, and an ability to initiate stories and enterprise features.
Candidates must be familiar with emerging digital trends and opportunities, be able to shoot video with a mobile device, and know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences. They must be comfortable with overseeing coverage on tight deadlines, and be keen to learn and experiment to find new ways to tell stories and engage readers.
The Grande Prairie Daily Herald Tribune, Peace River Record Gazette, and Fairview Post are all proud members of their communities, deeply rooted in the local history and current news leaders in Alberta.
What you’ll do
Who you are
- Manage a team of journalists
- Set the news agenda, assign stories and photos
- Generate interesting story/feature ideas
- Have the ability to write stories and provide insightful coverage
- Engage in energetic use of social media
- Edit local news, columns and letters to the editor
- Write editorials and columns for the paper's opinion section
- Schedule staff
- Run weekly editorial meetings
- Journalism degree or diploma
- Experience leading teams in a newsroom
- Experience with layout in Adobe InDesign considered an asset
- must own a DSLR camera
- Experience and knowledge of social media
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Postmedia Network Inc.
Tel: (780) 429-5132