Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posted: December 9, 2020
Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland. Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
The Barrie Advance, through funding provided by the Government of Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative, has an opportunity for a temporary full-time municipal affairs reporter to provide ongoing coverage focusing on Essa, Springwater and Oro-Medonte.
In this full-time, three-month position, the municipal affairs reporter will attend council meeting and report on stories that matter to the residents of these communities.
- Coordinate with the managing editor to generate fresh and interesting news and feature stories.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- Other duties as assigned
- Advanced journalism skills with an interest in municipal affairs.
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven to enable the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy, photos and video on deadline.
- Proven news judgment.
- Strong social media skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment.
- Must be able to work remotely.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.
Please apply with a cover letter stating that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Job Board and resume to: