Orangeville Banner (Metroland)
Location: Orangeville, Ontario
Posted: December 3, 2020
Metroland Media is a progressive media organization with a long and distinguished history. Its businesses include more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario, including the Orangeville Banner and Erin Advocate. Metroland’s parent company, Torstar Corporation, also publishes a number of regional daily newspapers.
In addition, Metroland Media offers flyer distribution services, omnichannel marketing solutions and parcel delivery. Our company is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
Diversity and Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status or any other factor protected by law.
The Orangeville Banner and Erin Advocate are currently recruiting for a full-time reporter/photographer.
- Report, write, assign and edit in a breaking news environment where the primary focus is on digital information.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and the Orangeville Banner and Erin Advocate's customers.
- Report engaging stories and digital content for multi-platforms.
- Understand how to explore, create, navigate and publish information using non-traditional and emerging information platforms.
- Understand and demonstrate use of digital tools and diversity of information such as social media links, embedded content and video work.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise solid news judgment. Someone who thinks web first.
- Demonstrated skills using social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members. Have the ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Experience in photography. Video skills are an asset.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.
Interested candidates should send their application, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job, by applying online here.